wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking over things a little I think the coastal potential is far from dead. Think the GFS is flipping from keying on one piece of energy earlier in the flow to now another later in the flow and the last couple/few runs have been in the middle of that process. What leads me to believe this is we are seeing later and later development of the coastal as well as are now seeing low pressure anomalies building in the SE a little later in the process on the last few runs. We could definitely see the GFS never really key on any one piece of energy, as we see now on this run, and end up with a the strung out mess with weak sauce lows running through it. But we could also see the GFS finally fully commit to the second piece of energy which would probably mean a stronger more consolidated low later in the period. Where it would track would be anyone's guess though.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Be careful I don't think DT thinks our area is NE. He might be talking about philly northeast there. His regions are always vague then he plays around with them to his advantage. 

I hear you. I was cautious before looking at the post. If we can get anything out of it, I'm happy

Just now, showmethesnow said:

After looking over things a little I think the coastal potential is far from dead. Think the GFS is flipping from keying on one piece of energy earlier in the flow to now another later in the flow and the last couple/few runs have been in the middle of that process. What leads me to believe this is we are seeing later and later development of the coastal as well as are now seeing low pressure anomalies building in the SE a little later in the process on the last few runs. We could definitely see the GFS never really key on any one piece of energy, as we see now on this run, and end up with a the strung out mess with weak sauce lows running through it. But we could also see the GFS finally fully commit to the second piece of energy which would probably mean a stronger more consolidated low later in the period. Where it would track would be anyone's guess though.

Yup. These types of costals always go down to the wire. Even within 12 hours of the storm

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I don't disagree, but we really need  to start to get some model support from a legit model

19 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

DT talking about the chances for next week's potential snow event as well

CMC has the low and most of the snow is east of the CT river. Not surprised given the low position on the map looks too far NE for us.

Don't know if anyone has the ENS snow maps but only the 978mb low off OC looks like it would be a big hit. The rest look minor or miss.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Be careful I don't think DT thinks our area is NE. He might be talking about philly northeast there. His regions are always vague then he plays around with them to his advantage. 

right...we are the MA in his vernacular.  in other news, I like from a strategic pattern sense that even at 384 things still look pretty good.  just looking at the players on the field.  Nothing screams big ridge in the east

8 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I hear you. I was cautious before looking at the post. If we can get anything out of it, I'm happy

I'm not saying he isn't talking about us. Nor am I saying his call is bad, he identified that window a while ago and it's legit, just I never take his vague initial ideas too seriously. 

10 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I don't disagree, but we really need  to start to get some model support from a legit model

Yep to both...  the gfs is technically trending towards a nam type solution. The runs earlier with snow did it with an initial wave and no second wave. Since then it's been weakening the front runner and putting more into a second wave. However it's stuck in between now with two strung out weak waves. The problem is that often is how it will go and just because the gfs is trending towards a slower second wave doesn't mean it keeps trending that way or ends up with a strong enough system to help us. I will give it another run or two but we need to see improvements soon. 

34 minutes ago, yoda said:

luckily its 8 lol

It’s the Hanukkah miracle storm! See what I did there...

8 days away.  8 days of Hanukkah . 8 days until the 12th...the first day of Hanukkah.  Always dreamed of a white Hanukkah...spinning dreidels in the snowdrifts...:lol:

55 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We both know the weekend deal(s) aren't dead yet. Well, dead right now but subject to resurrection or zombification. Something like that. 

I live and die by snowfall maps. 

43 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The threats showing up later next week are way more indicative of how we typically score in patterns like this though so it has that going for it. 

I know I know. ;) 

The 12z gefs does offer a little hope. The few members with the bigger hits on the Fri-Sat deal are the one that key on the final piece of energy. Considering the fairly significant changes that have already happened in the last 24 hours, there's no reason to completely discount the chance that the final trailing wave does something. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The 12z gefs does offer a little hope. The few members with the bigger hits on the Fri-Sat deal are the one that key on the final piece of energy. Considering the fairly significant changes that have already happened in the last 24 hours, there's no reason to completely discount the chance that the final trailing wave does something. 

so you're saying there's a chance. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived