Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Yep, a cold first half of winter looks about as likely as I've ever seen it.  Now we pray for the snow. 

Gefs is keeping me interested in Sunday. Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a cold little event. Won't know one way or the other for a few days. The trend to dig the vort into the TN valley looks pretty good. Need to pop a surface low east of the apps and we're in business. 

I could care less about gefs snow panels. They have proven practically useless as a tool to gauge potential. You and i already know what kind of potential we have. Just have to let the chips fall and hope something breaks our way in the med-short range. 

Just now, mitchnick said:

I'm an exception to most lawyers. I can do more than just figure a third of any number! 

You’re a lawyer?  Jeez I thought only unemployed gamers and the socially challenged psychopaths were weather addicts.  Makes me feel better about my weather addiction. 

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

You’re a lawyer?  Jeez I thought only unemployed gamers and the socially challenged psychopaths were weather addicts.  Makes me feel better about my weather addiction. 

I'm a school administrator ;)

We're all addicted to weather in a different way lol

To make it back about weather... I am thinking that the 00z GFS will sharpen the trough a bit more and bring the system back a bit more to the NW

1 minute ago, yoda said:

I'm a school administrator ;)

We're all addicted to weather in a different way lol

To make it back about weather... I am thinking that the 00z GFS will sharpen the trough a bit more and bring the system back a bit more to the NW

Yes I believe that will happen as well.  Plan to stay awake for it.  

I was just kidding about my last post. I’m an aerospace engineer who builds satellites for an intelligence agency as well as a socially challenged psychopath. 

5 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The models have sucked with the strength of the WAR the last several winters and continually strengthened it and moved systems west inside 4-5 days.  I would not be surprised at all if this still ends up being an event

Could be a big event if not for such warm temps. 

10 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Just one time...why can't it be right...one freakin time

You want more rain? Thickness level over us is around 5500+. No way we'd see snow with thickness levels that high. Our max potential out of this is likely .25-.5 qpf. Anything more and we have temp issues, which I guess are the kind of problems we're hoping for at this rate come to think of it. Lol

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

It's official folks, we're getting a big event on Friday. I've got a big test and the potential snow event was put there to distract me from studying. If I remember correctly I had midterms on the day of the Blizzard of 2017, which ended up getting cancelled.

2016 maybe. Blizzard of 2017 was cold rain.

Just now, mitchnick said:

I'm not quite sure what the NAM is doing, but it ain't snowing on us, just eastern shore. Sorta looks like it's keying on an earlier vort.  

In any event, I read in the NE forum the NAM is being retired next year.  What a failed experiment that was. Eta was better imho..

Really? Then what are we gonna call it when a model goes crazy short range? Nothing sounds better than saying "We got NAM'ed"

23 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

You want more rain? Thickness level over us is around 5500+. No way we'd see snow with thickness levels that high. Our max potential out of this is likely .25-.5 qpf. Anything more and we have temp issues, which I guess are the kind of problems we're hoping for at this rate come to think of it. Lol

Come on mitch. We both know the navgem has a high thickness bias...or a wrong bias...one or the other. 

27 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I'm not quite sure what the NAM is doing, but it ain't snowing on us, just eastern shore. Sorta looks like it's keying on an earlier vort.  

In any event, I read in the NE forum the NAM is being retired next year.  What a failed experiment that was. Eta was better imho..

The NAM will eventually be retired, but it will NOT be in 2018.

40 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Temps aren't way too warm. Low/mid 30s at nighttime might be a stretch, but I'm assuming it would get colder depending on if we get heavier precip or not

If there's no precip, it goes all the way to 40. The neg tilt works, but big storms need an arctic High. It will probably snow. 

20 minutes ago, yoda said:

00z NAM is trying to drop 6" of snow in ATL... now that would be something new

fwiw, all NAM's (use em while u got em as per Mitch) seem to have ticked NW w/ QPF shield.  Not worth a pinch of owl poop I know, but i'm searching for trends.....

carry on.......

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived