joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

You're that guy! lol

Upper level flow is backing more to the west along the coast through hr78. It's coming west. I'm that guy too. 

Popped a low off Charleston SC at 84... It's coming...  At least 10 flakes.  Maybe 11.

Edit - also, a sharper trough, which helps, I think.

I like the trend NW on the 18z. Like I said before, time and time again we see these types of storms trend NW within 4 days of the event. Remember Tday 2014? March 2017 Storm? Jan 2017 Storm? All of these trended NW, even if slightly, a couple days before the event. If I remember correctly, on the Monday before the Jan 2017 storm, the models had backed off of a storm that would crush us, and trended SE up until Tuesday night, where the guidance ever so creeped the storm NW until we got 1.5" of snow. The center of the snow during the Monday runs were projected in SE North Carolina, which means that if this storm follows what that storm did, we would be in business. I don't know if it has to do with the cold front coming through and making the guidance bring the storm farther NW, but it's something to watch for sure

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Still an eastern deal but a lot closer than 12z.

[weenie hat on] gfs is known to underestimate the western extent of precip [weenie hat off]

To me this looks like a very good improvement over 12z run. lp is closer to the coast and what I think is most important is that it stays much closer to the coast all the way up. one and a jalf more adjustments should do the trick.

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I like the trend NW on the 18z. Like I said before, time and time again we see these types of storms trend NW within 4 days of the event. Remember Tday 2014? March 2017 Storm? Jan 2017 Storm? All of these trended NW, even if slightly, a couple days before the event. If I remember correctly, on the Monday before the Jan 2017 storm, the models had backed off of a storm that would crush us, and trended SE up until Tuesday night, where the guidance ever so creeped the storm NW until we got 1.5" of snow. The center of the snow during the Monday runs were projected in SE North Carolina, which means that if this storm follows what that storm did, we would be in business. I don't know if it has to do with the cold front coming through and making the guidance bring the storm farther NW, but it's something to watch for sure

We did well in that storm down here in Calvert County last Jan. Ended up with close to 7”

4 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

To me this looks like a very good improvement over 12z run. lp is closer to the coast and what I think is most important is that it stays much closer to the coast all the way up. one and a jalf more adjustments should do the trick.

Improvement for sure but only gets us back to slightly worse than yesterday runs.  Trend or nearing final solution.  See what 0z does I guess.

Just now, supernovasky said:

I feel like I'm the only one happy with all of these solutions. I see so many chances for flakes. Maybe not accumulating much but it's early December!

You're not. I'm right there with you. Sure, I'd like to be tracking a monster milller A but in reality probably 90% of our events are small and/or less organized types of deals. 12z euro and 18z gfs look fine to me.  

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You're not. I'm right there with you. Sure, I'd like to be tracking a monster milller A but in reality probably 90% of our events are small and/or less organized types of deals. 12z euro and 18z gfs look fine to me.  

It's good but when the mean trough in the east is too east it hurts us.  You said we need a broad trough that's more west... I see why

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived