Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Still a large amount of h5 energy at hr 84 on 12z NAM down in the south

Posted in NYC if the NAM was any good at that range and reliable it would probably being implying a nice SECS+ post 84 hours for DC-BOS. However, it looks alone in it's evolution of the trof and energy post 60 hrs no?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Posted in NYC if the NAM was any good at that range and reliable it would probably being implying a nice SECS+ post 84 hours for DC-BOS. However, it looks alone in it's evolution of the trof and energy post 60 hrs no?

as of now yes.  we will find out shortly who else is on this island.  it would be easy to dismiss it but deep down we want it to be right

37 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Wish I could dig up the runs from that 1st week in January before that storm. Same situation. Cold front came in, and during that and after the models ticked up NW

A lot more separation though. There was a clipper between the front and the wave even. Not saying this can't come north just pointing out synoptic differences. 

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

If you live on the eastern shore

Yes and No. It's a shame Tropical Tidbits doesn't have 700mb RH maps. Sooooo, we go to the old standby NCEP site. Click on the link below and it is set at the 700mb RH maps then click on "Loop All."  You'll see that the deep RH IS making it into our area.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model Guidance&model=nam&area=namer&cycle=20171205 12 UTC&param=700_rh_ht&fourpan=no&imageSize=M&ps=model&fhr_mode=image&loop_start=-1&loop_end=-1&skip_num=undefined

Just now, psuhoffman said:

A lot more separation though. There was a clipper between the front and the wave even. Not saying this can't come north just pointing out synoptic differences. 

True. Only similarity I can think of is that a cold front came in on that Tuesday. Good point

33 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

12z NAM looks interesting.......I know its the NAM in long range but still.

Others are free to disagree and many do but I've never minded the NAM being mentioned. We all know its limitations and as long as we don't spend all day analyzing it, by the time the gfs is running it needs to be over, but just pointing it out isn't hurting anyone. It's there. It's a price of guidance if not the best. We bring up the jma ggem and German models and those are jv players too. So long as we don't give it much weight by itself I see no harm. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Others are free to disagree and many do but I've never minded the NAM being mentioned. We all know its limitations and as long as we don't spend all day analyzing it, by the time the gfs is running it needs to be over, but just pointing it out isn't hurting anyone. It's there. It's a price of guidance if not the best. We bring up the jma ggem and German models and those are jv players too. So long as we don't give it much weight by itself I see no harm. 

Truth.. everyone here loves when we get NAM'ed.

22 minutes ago, Interstate said:

If you live on the eastern shore

The nam misses with the first wave Friday morning just like the globals.  But it's developing a second wave in the southeast coast behind it as the upper level energy is digging into the trough. A development most of the other guidance (except a few outlier ens runs) doesn't show. It's probably about to go nuts in the next few frames after 84 judging by the flow. But unless more reliable guidance picks up on that idea it's irrelevant. And that's as much as I'm willing to analyze a nam run at 84 hours. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The nam misses with the first wave Friday morning just like the globals.  But it's developing a second wave in the southeast coast behind it as the upper level energy is digging into the trough. A development most of the other guidance (except a few outlier ens runs) doesn't show. It's probably about to go nuts in the next few frames after 84 judging by the flow. But unless more reliable guidance picks up on that idea it's irrelevant. And that's as much as I'm willing to analyze a nam run at 84 hours. 

fwiw, it's the same thing the German did yesterday.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

fwiw, it's the same thing the German did yesterday.

A few outliers in the gefs and EPS do that too. Those crazy solutions mixed in are from a second wave not the first. The wave Friday morning just won't have enough room to go crazy. Flow is too flat. Not saying that can't end up dropping a modest snowfall but the (possible) second wave would have higher end potential as the trough is becoming more amplified by then with the energy digging down the Midwest.  To take that idea seriously though I want to see something more reliable in the 12z suite trend that way. Either a gfs or euro op or a higher percentage of the ensemble members going that way. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Think the GEFS was hinting at the possibility yesterday. Was showing bending of the isobars and low pressure anomalies showing up in NC/southern VA as the low was departing. Wasn't sure if it could be attributed to low pressure that forms on the lee of the mountains from a westerly flow or not.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Think the GEFS was hinting at the possibility yesterday. Was showing bending of the isobars and low pressure anomalies showing up in NC/southern VA as the low was departing. Wasn't sure if it could be attributed to low pressure that forms on the lee of the mountains from a westerly flow or not.

No you're right it's in there. There are 6 gefs members that went nuts with a second wave and a few others that had a second wave but split the energy between wave 1/2. Less EPS members but a few did that also. But the nam/German like solution is within the ensembles. However it was mostly at a "noise" level. I want to see either one reliable op or an uptick in ensemble support to feel it's a more viable outcome. 

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes I agree... but you can see with the flow, it would only hit the eastern shore.  We would need to see the precip field in Tenn for anything meaningful.

radar.JPG

h5.JPG

9 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Yes I agree... but you can see with the flow, it would only hit the eastern shore.  We would need to see the precip field in Tenn for anything meaningful.

radar.JPG

h5.JPG

Your missing what's going on down in the gulf coast there but it's the nam and it's mostly unsupported so this isn't worth more analysis. 

57 minutes ago, yoda said:

Still a large amount of h5 energy at hr 84 on 12z NAM down in the south... looks like a very potent s/w

And that is exactly what we need. The stronger the better. I am not feeling good about any of this weekend for out here. But I still think you guys to east are in the game.

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

GFS shows a crusher. 6-12" for DC and points NW

Just kidding.

Enjoy your cold and dry weather for the next month and a half

here we are waiting on a pattern change and waiting for another pattern change.  The cold is undeniable unless you ask Chuck...but that flow with everything sharp and east will just yield dry skin.  I looked at h5 like Bob said.  you can see how things have just dampened out.  It will be tough outside the mountains to even see first flakes.     

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you click through the 8 previous runs @ h5, the GFS has morphed the entire evolution/trough into weak sauce with the 12z run being the weakest. 

And it again totally kills the vort for the clipper. It has bounced all over the place with the shortwave placement and strength.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived