Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

The weeklies imply that this winter's base state is a -ao/-epo/+pna. Makes sense but weeklies can flip immediatey following an eps flip. The good thing right now is we don't have to look way down the line praying for a pattern change. We get to enjoy a winter type pattern pretty much right now and also enjoy the probability that it isn't going away anytime soon. 

My guess is the first relaxation is only going to be the pna. We can work with a -pna once we get into late Dec. I'd have to go back and sift through data but I have a hunch that a -ao/-pna still delivers snowfall sometimes but the risk of a mixed event goes up. Mixed events are pretty normal ways we get snow so no big deal there. 

No signs of the ao going positive is probably the biggest thing we have going for us. We're going to be in good shape if the -ao holds for another couple weeks. About dam time it cooperates too. Lol

We know things can flip but this feels like something else. I don't like to flip around too quickly but I acknowledged all November that I saw the positive signs. Things were breaking out way. From signs we would get a -AO to the PDO settling into a more neutral and less hostile look and the Nina remaining east based and weak. Things were cooperating. I am now feeling much better about our chances this year. 

If we look at the really awful Nina years they didn't start out this way. Yes some devembers like this flip but usually if we get a sustained -AO like this early it tends to occur again at least some portion of the winter. The good news is the truly dreadful analogs are quickly falling off and some of the better outliers seem more possible right now. Of course luck plays a part. Even if we get a -AO winter we will still need to score when we get shots. But it feels like we will have shots this year 

16 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

00z GFS looks to be east of 18z

There is only one frame that is true for at hour 84.  Overall, those two runs look consistent to me for Friday and Saturday, but I expect the chaos to return tomorrow at this time!  For anyone who doesn't know, chaos is a statistical phenomena that is commonly referred to in meteorology.  To clarify, I'm not implying the sky is falling when I say chaos. 

Day 10 extrapolated looks like it could be interesting with the development of SLP in N TX... at least I think so also looking at h5 at 240 on the 00z EURO

Day 8 snow problem is that it's a warm rain lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived