Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Dec 31,2016 gave me 3” of perfect snow when a trace to maybe 0.5” was forecast.

Feb 27,2010 was also a good positive for me.  12” from a 4” forecast I think

That was the year everything hit the mid Atlantic... mega blocking...Snowmageddon.   It’s amazing you got anything that year.  

There was a big positive bust in central CT a few years ago; I think it was around Easter? Was expecting some minor rain showers with a little icing in Litchfield hills and next thing you know a heavy slug of snow set up over I91 and traffic became a snarled nightmare. Think we picked up a good 4 inches.

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jan 18-19, 2009 was a good one. The morning of the 18th had a pretty well forecast event. It ended around early afternoon. Then that night another wave formed along the boundary that was still lurking just offshore and a round of heavy snow hit E MA and E CT/RI with little warning. Forecast was for snow showers with maybe an inch or so and instead a quick 4-6" hit in about 4-5 hours. Nice positive bust on very short notice. 

It seems like a lot of the real short term true busts end up in that range of 3-6"/4-8" or so.  Like it's hard to completely miss a foot of snow, even in squall or meso-scale country... but it's easier for a T-1" (that no one pays attention to) to turn into a bigger impact.  And impact seems to grow exponentially in that 3-8" range.  Like 1-2" on the roads, not ideal but manageable.  Once you've got 4-5" of surprise snow it seems like the **** hits the fan in terms of transportation.  I think that's why we remember those ones too...there's an impact level where it goes from surprise novelty snow to like "real deal".  Like oh this 1.7" is a nice surprise vs holy crap 5.4" what the heck happened?!

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

lol you are such a stickler for descriptions of where it's going to snow and hate it so much when someone says coast but maybe it snows to BDL.  

Yeah seriously. Alb gets like an inch of snow from that. The advisory snows on that system on this run are mainly in eastern New England. 

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol you are such a stickler for descriptions of where it's going to snow and hate it so much when someone says coast but maybe it snows to BDL.  

Just that the depiction on that would have snow back past west of ALB. If you are strictly looking at qpf then sure it was river east. I just wasn’t sure how familiar he was with New England snowstorm Climo and model bias 

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I can’t believe I’m the only one that named 2/7/03.  1-3 forecast at nowcast.  Nearly a foot verification.

Yeah I admit I should have gotten that one. Though I think it was a snow advisory. So forecast was prob 3-5. But still a huge bust. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah seriously. Alb gets like an inch of snow from that. The advisory snows on that system on this run are mainly in eastern New England. 

That’s a nice system to get on the board though... looks like 3-5” for the Eastern third of SNE.

Hopefully we can hold that time period for a few more days 

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I can’t believe I’m the only one that named 2/7/03.  1-3 forecast at nowcast.  Nearly a foot verification.

That's one of my top ever busts. We mention that a lot. Another one a month later...not quite the extent of the 16" this area has in 2/7/03...but a solid 10-12".

U want busts u guys should live here lol.  April 20th 2016 8 inches turned into 20 inches.  Jan 2017 1" turned into 10".  There's some other lesser ones and some big busts in 24 hour our range.  Last year we had a low which the euro and reg had bombing with 15" of comma head snow the next morning. Gfs and nam had nearly nothing like 1".  I believe 4 to 5 inches verified.  

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I weenied out over a Feb 2014 storm too. We got CCB’d with 4”/hr for a couple of hours. We’ve had quite a few storms that were forecasted to be minor deals that ended up 10-14”. I just don’t card catalog them in my head like Will. ;)

That was a good one for you guys. I was jelly while down the drain here.

18z GFS brings 5-7" of snow to CHH with the Friday/Saturday morning storm.  It looks like a small or moderate storm, but if things went right could turn out to be much more, I mean that shortwave energy in the Pacific Jet, going under the ridge out west could spark a low over Brownsville, TX that could go through the GOM and up to Cape Hatteras, NC and then strengthen as it reaches the benchmark tapping into the arctic jet clipper and energy transfers to the coastal low, if this happens more so than modeled it will become a colder and snowier solution in future runs.  That central Great Lakes trough goes negative and boom goes the dynamite.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

He's the first one to steer far away from the coastal plain when that march rain snow line is depicted soak the coastal plain and parts nearby.

Archived