Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I remember them being more realistic...but they still require a grain of salt when viewing them. I really wish we had euro soundings available, that would be the best. Most of the algorithms are fairly crude...and for a reason. It's hard to take into account all the variables that come with snowfall. A really good one would evaluate the max area of omega with relation to sounding temps. A lot of them use surface temps and some of them use "max temp within the column" which is a little better at times, but still way short of serious analysis.

It really is a bummer not to have omega when it comes to the Euro. Even in AWIPS it doesn't exist. As a proxy I use 850-700 f-gen for vertical motion, but that doesn't move with the DGZ. With the GFS I'm able to create a 2-D plot of -12 to -18C RH and omega, and actually visualize lift and saturation in the DGZ.

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Wonky evolution on the 12z GFS but would be some accumulating snow. Doesn't phase the offshore baroclinic zone with the s/w rounding the trough but it still gets some precip in here. 

I would think with that Great Lakes s/wv it would still support an inverted trof set up for precip. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I would think with that Great Lakes s/wv it would still support an inverted trof set up for precip. 

For sure... I didn't dive in too much but you can see sfc pressures fall as the vort max move through along with a kink in the 1000-500mb thickness. Definitely a signal for something of note. 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I said I’d be surprised if we made it to next Monday without some accumulating snow.... but that is definitely starting to look like a possibility.

I agree....might only be an inch or something, but with all those shortwaves going into a very deep longwave trough...something will probably develop.

Archived