• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

that is a complex evolution over the weekend...

The 06z version of that was similar in that the oper. GFS seems to honing in on two wave signatures in the flow.  The first is the original Friday deal...which is getting utterly mashed out of existence by the gradient saturation/uber high wind velocities of the total trough space... That's why it fails to "latch on"  the baroclinc field, because the absorption of the S/W is limiting the inflow jets...  

Then, it has a bit more torque associated with another S/W that careens through the OV toward Sunday.  What was hinted at 06z this run goes to town with a solid short duration moderate CCB head for central/eastern zones for Sunday.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

It's a real weenie presentation, speaking of forecast busts.

We had an event in March 1992 that went from clear/partly cloudy the day of to 20" in the PWM area the next morning. 

Remember it well. It hit the S shore with like 6-10" while I smoked flurries in Brockton. 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s a beaut of an inverted trough on that depiction. This is the Climo time of year for them  in SNE. I recall several good ones in December

I am not sure there is a preferred climo time for them. We had a good one in Dec 2007 and then another in Dec 2008....but I've also jackpotted in a few back on MLK weekend 2014, 2/24/13, and 2/22/07.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I am not sure there is a preferred climo time for them. We had a good one in Dec 2007 and then another in Dec 2008....but I've also jackpotted in a few back on MLK weekend 2014, 2/24/13, and 2/22/07.

Preferred climo is actually Jan/Feb, which makes sense considering there is a strong surface to 850 temp difference component to the trof generating widespread precip. Colder SSTs work in favor of the trof producing more precip.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No matter how it shakes out, pretty unanimous agreement ...we are all snow covered by this weekend 

Seems like it may be a tricky forecast for the CT Mets.  Western CT looks like it doesn't see much more than an inch or two where Eastern parts see 6-8 if this runs verifys.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tblizz, I am joking...but I swear each time you meh'd something...guidance popped 10" over your head, or a 35dbz echo pops.

I know lol. No worries.

Im just not overly impressed with any guidance at this point as it relates to this weekend. 

At this juncture... I’ll be happy with any measurable. My guess is most folks end up with an inch or so... maybe some folks see 2

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I also recall one in Dec 88 because I was in drivers ed lol.

And another one in maybe Dec 92 or 93

7 minutes ago, WintersComing said:

Seems like it may be a tricky forecast for the CT Mets.  Western CT looks like it doesn't see much more than an inch or two where Eastern parts see 6-8 if this runs verifys.

Shouldn't be that difficult seeing the next run may have it over DE Maine as yesterday it was over the Mid Atlantic region.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ukie looked more amped for Saturday...hard to say if it actually gave precip since the maps beyond 72h might as well be from 1985.

Based on the overnight runs, model guidance sensitivity was most significant in the day 3-5 period, so it may be another 48 hours before guidance starts honing in. There at least was a consistent signal for a higher ridge out west, sharper downstream side of the ridge (i.e. lower heights there), and a deeper s/wv moving through the eastern trof. That favored the amplification of low pressure off New England.

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tblizz, I am joking...but I swear each time you meh'd something...guidance popped 10" over your head, or a 35dbz echo pops.

there's Tblizz,

then there is this--the anti-Tblizz

17 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I truly believe that we will have at least one of these shortwaves show up and produce a major snowstorm for New England, which one I don't know yet

Archived