Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Based on the overnight runs, model guidance sensitivity was most significant in the day 3-5 period, so it may be another 48 hours before guidance starts honing in. There at least was a consistent signal for a higher ridge out west, sharper downstream side of the ridge (i.e. lower heights there), and a deeper s/wv moving through the eastern trof. That favored the amplification of low pressure off New England.

That system is definitely one in the back of my mind that it could come back close pretty quickly once we get inside of 84 hours. Not the exact same setup, but 2/5/16 actually went from almost a complete whiff at 60 hours to a huge event. It will be interesting to see if that happens again. It seems like guidance often underestimates the vortmaxima too and then as we get closer, they will help juice up downstream ridging a bit. But this is a fast flow with a lot of pices, so a non-event wouldn't surprise me at all.

One of those other shortwaves though would probably produce something though if this first one kicks east.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That system is definitely one in the back of my mind that it could come back close pretty quickly once we get inside of 84 hours. Not the exact same setup, but 2/5/16 actually went from almost a complete whiff at 60 hours to a huge event. It will be interesting to see if that happens again. It seems like guidance often underestimates the vortmaxima too and then as we get closer, they will help juice up downstream ridging a bit. But this is a fast flow with a lot of pices, so a non-event wouldn't surprise me at all.

One of those other shortwaves though would probably produce something though if this first one kicks east.

I mean that s/wv in question is south of the Aleutians right now. Not exactly a well sampled region.

51 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Lake effect machine should kick in for those areas the next 10 days or so

Work is sending me on Weds for a week to Buffalo. I can't wait. Hoping to get buried. 

Does anyone know what the best area would be to get a hotel for lake effect in the Buffalo area? I get to pick the hotel as long as it's under $100 a night. Orhwxman mentioned south of Buffalo would be best?

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Work is sending me on Weds for a week to Buffalo. I can't wait. Hoping to get buried. 

Does anyone know what the best area would be to get a hotel for lake effect in the Buffalo area?

Near the airport is not a bad spot. Or anywhere south like Hamburg, NY. That's near the heart of the les belt. You had mentioned north of the city a few days ago...but north would be a less favorable spot. 

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Weensembles.

I bet we could make a pretty accurate ensemble model by taking weenie posts and applying a "correction" formula....I.E. we take Kevin's snow forecast and lop off 60%, apply a mild inverse correlation to tauntonblizzard's post, multiply lavarock's snow expectation by 2, etc. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I bet we could make s pretty accurate ensemble model by taking weenie posts and applying a "correction" formula....I.E. we take Kevin's snow forecast and lop off 60%, apply a mild inverse correlation to tauntonblizzard's post, multiply lavarock's snow expectation by 2, etc. 

What would we incorporate for your posts?

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I bet we could make s pretty accurate ensemble model by taking weenie posts and applying a "correction" formula....I.E. we take Kevin's snow forecast and lop off 60%, apply a mild inverse correlation to tauntonblizzard's post, multiply lavarock's snow expectation by 2, etc. 

That map would have a very extreme gradient over certain areas, There would never be any snow in western Mass............:lol:

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

+ (MPM QPF * 1.25) + (James MSLP corrected 50mi west)

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What would be incorporate for your posts?

I'm an actual met so I wasn't including pro posts...but I can. I'd prob apply like a 3-5% warming correction to mine. I run slightly cold...or at least I used to back when I last did an objective grading based on two months of sample. Admittedly this was like 5-6 years ago. 

Archived