• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

Below is the imagery from this afternoon/evenings 18z GFS run at 500mb, at 110 hours out, this illustrates the two areas of disturbed weather that could spark a more aggressive strengthening trend for our coastal hybrid low pressure center for this Friday/Saturday event.  Now scenario one suggests a flatter clipper track that moves from the Great Lakes to the New England coastline, this flatter solution is what models show right now between the interaction of the Pacific Jet and Arctic jet energies.  The second scenario is for the more potent setup where strong to intense cyclogenesis can happen, we have a major trough over the OH Valley going towards a neutral tilt and later negative tilt as the pacific jet shortwave stuck over TX heads up the Eastern Seaboard.  Scenario two shows that a track towards the Mid Atlantic states and coastline would suggest a colder and snowier solution for all of New England.  Need to see where it trends towards later on.

18z GFS hour 110 500mb imagery display shows two scenarios.gif

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

BTW, the 18z GFS shows you the fun (or anguish if riding the line) when PAC energy undercuts ridge.

The two-week clown snapshot shows a nice distribution of goods...its a nice look as far as long range snow runs go for spreading the wealth (acknowledging that there isn't a more useless product than a 16-day snow map) and I'm positive these maps incorporate too much coastline climo in to show the goods places like E.MA.

gfs_6hr_snow_acc_neng_65.thumb.png.06b81e0b551bcd2b2bf768eac92f3da8.png

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The two-week clown snapshot shows a nice distribution of goods...its a nice look as far as long range snow runs go for spreading the wealth (acknowledging that there isn't a more useless product than a 16-day snow map) and I'm positive these maps incorporate too much coastline climo in to show the goods places like E.MA.

Oh how we pray. But, if anyone is savvy enough...loop H5 and watch those s/w troughs go into CA and sneak under the ridge, like Suslak under Ray's sheets.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

as the clock ticks onward passed December 1, the Meteorological first day of winter ... and we have no snow, ...the front-end loaded winter is FAILING failing failing failing

The record snow for 12/1 at BOS is-1 inch.  For 12/2-6 inches, 12/3 (today)-4 inches.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There was one in late Feb 2011 too where the H85 0C stalled W-E across S NH and I lost power up here with a foot of paste. Lots of biggies that year. 

2/25/11. That was a good one up there. We had a lot of ice in ORH but we got a nice flip back to snow at the end which covered the ice with 2" of snow...stuck right to the ice because it like that 30-31f ice...so it looked amazing on the landscape...esp since it all fell on like a 25" pack. 

Anyways...not to stray too OT. 

One thing ill note which scooters post reminded me of...when you look at any of these model runs whether it is the euro or GFS or ggem, there's a ton of shortwaves diving down the steep PNA ridge. Some of them get rounded a lot at the base but in reality you'd prob see those sharper...there's a lot of potential for juiced clippers and some Miller Bs. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just that the depiction on that would have snow back past west of ALB. If you are strictly looking at qpf then sure it was river east. I just wasn’t sure how familiar he was with New England snowstorm Climo and model bias 

I'm aware of ALB receiving little snow, but it's mostly coastal event in this scenario if you're looking for local maxima. I don't need to know the climatology beside understanding that it's still early in the season for big events. I'm also familiar with how models behave along the East Coast and how the cyclogenesis process work. I'll be fine haha

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nickels, Dimes, and a few gold coins up north. 

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

18z GFS shows that the speed of the low is going to be fast, given that the upper level jet is screaming at 200mb over 150 knots

Speed of movement is obviously an important factor with regard to forecasting snowfall amounts, but we can still accumulate an awful lot of snowfall in just 12 hours if everything came together.

Archived