Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Its not impossible, I just don't think its highly likely out of the gate, I consider 6-10" as moderate, 12"+ i would consider significant.

Yeah I'll def favor something more moderate over a big dog. The flow def is very meridional so there's a chance we get a nuke, but it's gotta be almost perfect. Too easy for it to scoot east quickly because we have multiple shortwaves in a progressive flow. They'll act as kickers. 

But ill def be rooting for everything to come together. There's plenty of potential for snow events with the ability for the northern stream shortwaves to get amplified. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Steve you seem to be assuming when some say it's not a big dog look, it means it can"t happen. I didn't see anybody saying that.

Scott,  when people post others are wrong to think it can that kind of implies that, perhaps a review of some past posts might clarify what I saw. Odds are extremely  low every year for 12 plus , odds increase in patterns like this, all I am saying

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'll def favor something more moderate over a big dog. The flow def is very meridional so there's a chance we get a nuke, but it's gotta be almost perfect. Too easy for it to scoot east quickly because we have multiple shortwaves in a progressive flow. They'll act as kickers. 

But ill def be rooting for everything to come together. There's plenty of potential for snow events with the ability for the northern stream shortwaves to get amplified. 

And there could be a few mod events as well with all these pieces moving thru.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Best Dec pattern since? Just don't tell Sipperell

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ok your multiple posts about not a big dog pattern, people are wrong to think anything else or moderate is the ceiling is what you feel. I just asked why you felt that way other than it's a progressive pattern.

I said people were wrong to think anything else with regard to the 00z gfs. Look at the context of the post in the MODEL THREAD. Classic Steve cherry picking bits of information.

Aparrently for folks like you I need to add the caveat the anything is possible in my sig because I don't how many times I have said nothing can be ruled out.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ha,  you are one of the few on here that gets to experience that with any frequency.

I'd think the coast can get it too with an out-to-sea that does a Messenger special and wraps up more.

I think 48 hours lead time is the best.  Not long enough that you go crazy waiting for it, but long enough that you can enjoy the anticipation.  Let's be honest, many here probably enjoy the run-up just as much as the actual snowfall.  We all enjoy seeing weather models show us what we want to see.

It's kind of a rub, actually ...

You want the curved flow structures for big events;  you just don't want them so hugely sloped in the geopontial - It's all look and no substance in this sort of thing.

Again ... with another model solution attempting to use an entire planetary wave structure to engineer a storm (Euro.. D10). 

29 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Lol....freak dropping some crumbs.

haha what's your best forecast bust there on the coast?  Like went to bed with a forecast of a coastal storm that's going to miss wide right and wake up to it pounding snow and realizing you're "in it."  You've gotta have several.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

haha what's your best forecast bust there on the coast?  Like went to bed with a forecast of a coastal storm that's going to miss wide right and wake up to it pounding snow and realizing you're "in it."  You've gotta have several.

I’m going to throw 12/13/07 in there.   Not sure if it was a total positive bust, but people were caught with their knickers down

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I would say I remember back to the winter of 2000-2001 or 2001-2002 where one of those winters, Cape Cod had a winter storm warning in effect for 12"+ and then ended up with 2" of snow, the good thing about it was, the winter storm warning was in effect in the early morning hours, so they called school that day, but I remember loving weather back then and being fascinated with the reasons why something happens as much as why nothing happens.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m going to throw 12/13/07 in there.   Not sure if it was a total positive bust, but people were caught with their knickers down

No that one was very well forecast. That was locked in for about 3-4 days at least. The reason it was a disaster was because of the timing. It was just overcast until about 11am-noon (a little earlier in CT) and then the sky just opened up heavy snow like baking powder. The forecast was for 6-10/8-12....so it made it hard for schools to cancel without a snowy morning commute. This was despite several warnings of how fast the storm would come in. It wasn't going to be a few hours of light snow before the meat of the event. Once it starts, you're already too late for early dismissal. 

It was a disaster by the officials who control that stuff. I wish we still had Eastern available for the archives because I remember in that thread we kept hitting hard the idea that it would start very fast like a wall of heavy snow. The powers that be just didn't respond to those forecasts. They probably got suckered by the 11am start time. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Since I moved back from LA in mid 1991, probably 2/7/03.  But that was thanks to a wonderful deformation band.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jan 18-19, 2009 was a good one. The morning of the 18th had a pretty well forecast event. It ended around early afternoon. Then that night another wave formed along the boundary that was still lurking just offshore and a round of heavy snow hit E MA and E CT/RI with little warning. Forecast was for snow showers with maybe an inch or so and instead a quick 4-6" hit in about 4-5 hours. Nice positive bust on very short notice. 

Archived