Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxBlue said:

Dumb question. What's the KU look? Not a term familiar to me or used often in the SE forum.

Kocin-Uccelini....The authors of a book called northeast snowstorms.  A book written about major-blockbuster storms. My argument is that the look is still a little too quick to be a KU type deal.At least IMHO.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kocin-Uccelini....The authors of a book called northeast snowstorms.  A book written about major-blockbuster storms. My argument is that the look is still a little too quick to be a KU type deal.At least IMHO.

Ah yes. I know about their research on historic NE storms and saw Kocin give out a talk on that topic at an AMS conference. 

I'm guessing KU storm is a term to use when dealing with blockbusters (guessing greater than 12-18" would meet the definition around here).

Anyway, to cut down on the banter, I still really like where we're sitting after lunchtime model runs. Patience is the key now.

3 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Ah yes. I know about their research on historic NE storms and saw Kocin give out a talk on that topic at an AMS conference. 

I'm guessing KU storm is a term to use when dealing with blockbusters (guessing greater than 12-18" would meet the definition around here).

Anyway, to cut down on the banter, I still really like where we're sitting after lunchtime model runs. Patience is the key now.

We usually gets these KU event when we have some blocking to help slow things down so we get these 12-18 hr systems to produce as they track up the coast.

8 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Yep, pretty much. It's a good look going forward. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I didn't see anyone claim a big one cannot happen in the next 10 days. It def can. I just wouldn't favor it. I'd favor faster moving events. When I personally say "Big", I mean widespread over a foot. 6-10" might considered big by some...it's def a solid warning event. So I think sometimes people should specify what their subjective opinion of big is.

Not being favored and saying it absolutely cannot happen are two different things. I don't think anyone claimed the latter....maybe Kevin in one of his many musngs about the pattern, but that's just Kevin being Kevin...."nickels and dimes 2015 winter".

Absolutely.

The ceiling is about 6-12"....agreed on all accounts.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

For my WNE friends who post incessantly about lack of QPF falling as snow on day 10 maps and for Scott, Scooter,  Scoots and all the other #S's

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017120312_240_519_323.png

Right, when I mean could care less...I meant whether it gives me half an inch or half a meter of snow. I just like seeing a good one modeled.

Hard to tell at day ten but it's still dumping on sim maps and a 983 with this 850 inflow into Arctic air Yowzer, don't know how you define a KU, whether by population affected, amount of snow, speed of system but that's a modeled big dog, no if and or buts about it. Fantasy snow but shows the potential many think is on the table

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

ecmwf_uv850_vort_us_11.png

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Absolutely.

The ceiling is about 6-12"....agreed on all accounts.

I really don't understand how you arrive at this conclusion but respect it. I have to disagree.I base my opinion on the amount of energy dropping into a strong meridional flow, Arctic air, potential for capture , transitional blocking, past historical analogs, past personal observations of similar looks. Today's 12 Z Euro reflects my thoughts. Potential is available,  can't say it occurs, but no definite on significant limits of accumulation in my opinion.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

UmI'm speaking of the ceiling of what I feel is likely but ok

Ok your multiple posts about not a big dog pattern, people are wrong to think anything else or moderate is the ceiling is what you feel. I just asked why you felt that way other than it's a progressive pattern.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

As has been noted, The fast flow will have a ceiling on anything significant, But that doesn't mean we can see a few good moderate events upcoming.

Guess a Euro solution is absolutely impossible.? The memories of similar patterns leads me to believe it is possible. I don't know what you consider moderate though.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Guess a Euro solution is absolutely impossible.? The memories of similar patterns leads me to believe it is possible. I don't know what you consider moderate though.

Its not impossible, I just don't think its highly likely out of the gate, I consider 6-10" as moderate, 12"+ i would consider significant.

Archived