Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

You went? Damn you! :lol:

I've really liked most everything I've had from them, but Frozen Ocean was a lupulin powder beer that left a bit to be desired. Interesting that Extra Kreme had similar issues.

Have you had any RAR? Really good Eastern shore brewery. Edward Hyde was great. Supposed to be getting a couple beers from Dank Day!

Dude.  I need more friends that like beer and weather. I believe we are BFFs in the making.  Lol. I swear I know every brewer or brewery owner in the state of MD. DM me. For real.  The Veil tonight. Ehhh. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys kill me with beer the talk. I haven't had one in like 5 months. Lol. But it's been worth it. My original intention was just to lose some weight and get in shape so drinking had to go for a while.  Ended up getting really into it and lost 30 lbs. I'm pretty tall so you would never have thought I had that much extra weight but I did and it was all beer and laziness.

I fully intend on drinking a case of my favorites Memorial weekend. I'm getting thirsty thinking about it.  

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You guys kill me with beer the talk. I haven't had one in like 5 months. Lol. But it's been worth it. My original intention was just to lose some weight and get in shape so drinking had to go for a while.  Ended up getting really into it and lost 30 lbs. I'm pretty tall so you would never have thought I had that much extra weight but I did and it was all beer and laziness.

I fully intend on drinking a case of my favorites Memorial weekend. I'm getting thirsty thinking about it.  

Beer is overrated.

6 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Bob, that's awesome. I've been half-a@@ing trying to drop 15-20 myself and know it's going to take a lifestyle change similar to yours, though it won't be brew that I give up. Diet and exercise is what it'll have to be for me.

Another life ago, I was a competitive racer and since stopping at around 30 and joining the masses, it's been a slow and steady rise to a more comfortable, yet sedentary life. I think we are about the same age and as you know, back then dropping a few winter pounds was easy, but not so much anymore. Couple that with a little extra insulation from year to year and it's easy to just chalk it up to growing older.

I could go on, but I'll just say congratulations, and thanks for the motivation.

8 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Congrats. I'm struggling with that myself between getting older, working about 60 hours a week, and watching the toddler when my wife is working I have no time to work out anymore. Plus due to some old soccer injuries that I was warned would be a problem someday, and I guess it's now someday, running is hard on my ankles. But I just bought an elliptical and am watching what I eat which is hard for me because I was always active enough to just eat what I want. It's not easy and I hope I'm as successful as you have been. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Congrats. I'm struggling with that myself between getting older, working about 60 hours a week, and watching the toddler when my wife is working I have no time to work out anymore. Plus due to some old soccer injuries that I was warned would be a problem someday, and I guess it's now someday, running is hard on my ankles. But I just bought an elliptical and am watching what I eat which is hard for me because I was always active enough to just eat what I want. It's not easy and I hope I'm as successful as you have been. 

Those sports injuries get you every time. Between being a catcher in Baseball most of the time from age 6 through High school which took a heavy toll on my knees, several severe ankle sprains from basketball, and a severe dislocated hip from water skiing, I gave up running years ago.

Start getting annual physicals.  This can help track how things are going from year to year and talking with your doctor can get some suggestions on how to deal/treat with aches and pains.

i'm 100 yrs old and just had my annual physical yesterday.  BP of 108/70 with a heart rate of 60.  No joke.  My line of work keeps me active but taking time to exercise a few days a week keeps father time at bay a bit. Blood work results in a couple days will tell me if i can keep eating bacon wrapped butter for 3 square meals a day.

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Those sports injuries get you every time. Between being a catcher in Baseball most of the time from age 6 through High school which took a heavy toll on my knees, several severe ankle sprains from basketball, and a severe dislocated hip from water skiing, I gave up running years ago.

Yea it's mostly my fault. It's the whole pig headed thing you witness now with my tracking. I played a whole game on a fractured ankle in high school and in college opted not to get surgery on a partially town Achilles so I could try to come back that season. Plus cane back from ankle sprains too soon or played through them more times then I can count. Results are i limp around like an old man now on rainy days and running has become difficult.  

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Start getting annual physicals.  This can help track how things are going from year to year and talking with your doctor can get some suggestions on how to deal/treat with aches and pains.

i'm 100 yrs old and just had my annual physical yesterday.  BP of 108/70 with a heart rate of 60.  No joke.  My line of work keeps me active but taking time to exercise a few days a week keeps father time at bay a bit. Blood work results in a couple days will tell me if i can keep eating bacon wrapped butter for 3 square meals a day.

That guy lol. 

Dont forget the box of wine!!!

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sounds like we have a lot in common! :lol:

Honestly though...to hop on the "getting older" and trying-to-maintain-weight train, I dropped 25 lbs in about four months a few years ago. It was all due to exercise and regulating what I was eating. It wasn't easy, but it was a great exercise in mental fortitude for me. I don't get to the gym now, given how busy things have gotten, but I watch what I eat during the day and don't drink more than maybe a beer or two during the week - I've put on about 3-4 lbs since my low a few years ago, but have been maintaining that weight. I'm fairly tall, so I carry it OK, but I suppose most of us could stand to lose a few more lbs - just the way it is being sedentary and living in the Land of Calories!

I love hearing success stories of other folks who have been successful in dropping weight and generally improving their health as they get a little older (even if not yet "old")!

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea it's mostly my fault. It's the whole pig headed thing you witness now with my tracking. I played a whole game on a fractured ankle in high school and in college opted not to get surgery on a partially town Achilles so I could try to come back that season. Plus cane back from ankle sprains too soon or played through them more times then I can count. Results are i limp around like an old man now on rainy days and running has become difficult.  

Welcome to my world. Almost done a total gutting of the basement and remodel and I don't know how often I bent down or got on my knees and just could not get back up without some major support. Really sucks especially when you were so active throughout your life. You learn to live with though.

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Unfortunately, most of us have no idea what that means in terms of on-the-ground reality.

3/5/01?? It was kind of a joke, but everyone's nervousness about the storm getting going near our latitude reflects what we learned from 3/5/01 and others since then.

3/29/84 was a beast low that went over the delmarva and gave us the gradient that the CMC's showing. In SC and NC it's also famous for an epic tornado outbreak. 

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Not really great for our area if the storm develops like that. Checked the KU book, looks like 4-6 inches in the beltways, maybe. New York got snow-bombed, parts of Long Island with 26 inches. KU book has the maps and details for that storm on p. 358. Page 357 has a pic of Uccinelli as a child in Long Island outside looking really happy in the aftermath of that storm...

I'd prefer nothing to that scenario. And I really mean it.

Just now, Fozz said:

Same here. If it's going to snow in March, it better be good.

Knowing our luck, we will get some stupid pity 2 inch thing and ruin historic snow futility chase. I don't want the awfulness of this winter masked, even a little. If we are going to try and keep the winter from being a total fail, let's drop 12-24 inches on it.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived