Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I'd prefer nothing to that scenario. And I really mean it.

in a good year or early in the winter I would agree, and I get the sentiment, but can we really afford to toss 4-6" right now?  I would simply ignore what is going out outside my region and enjoy my 5" and play in the snow with my son and be happy I got anything mid march in a year this awful.  Have to have perspective here. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

in a good year or early in the winter I would agree, and I get the sentiment, but can we really afford to toss 4-6" right now?  I would simply ignore what is going out outside my region and enjoy my 5" and play in the snow with my son and be happy I got anything mid march in a year this awful.  Have to have perspective here. 

Damn it...why'd you have to go and bring kids into this?!

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yup. Me too. Go big or go home.

54 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Same here. If it's going to snow in March, it better be good.

I would consider 4-6"  on March 14-15th to be pretty big.  How often do we get a SECS level snowfall in mid march or later?  Yes it sucks if just north of us gets more but that doesn't change our ground truth. 

52 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Knowing our luck, we will get some stupid pity 2 inch thing and ruin historic snow futility chase. I don't want the awfulness of this winter masked, even a little. If we are going to try and keep the winter from being a total fail, let's drop 12-24 inches on it.

Now this I can totally agree with 2" is lame and I would pass... I guess my line would be somewhere around 5", less then that and I would rather just pass on it, more and I will take it and be happy regardless of what others may get around me. 

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Damn it...why'd you have to go and bring kids into this?!

seriously my 2 1/2 year old LOVES snow, he goes nuts whenever we even get some flurries.  The one morning in Feb we got 2" I have a video of him first noticing it snowed and getting excited.  But he got this little red shovel and he wants to use it so bad, keeps asking when it will snow, and I just want enough for him to have one good snowday this year at home. We had a really awesome day trip to deep creek and he had a blast but nothing beats fun in your own yard.  Is just one day this year with legit snow here too much to ask lol.  (we did have one 3" storm in early Janauary but he had the flu and didnt get to go out in it)

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm the other way around. I appreciate small events more in early or mid-winter, when we can have extended cold weather and a sun angle low enough for snow to stick around for weeks in a good pattern. We all know it doesn't work that way in March. At this time of the year, when snow is going to come and go, I want it to be good.

5" would work for me (so long as it doesn't change to rain and get washed away), since knowing where I live, expecting at least one warning criteria snowstorm per season is probably reasonable. But it will take 8" or more to really improve my opinion of this winter. I've been waiting for years to see a good paste bomb MECS IMBY (I was in DC heat island hell in Jan 2011), and getting that would really redeem this winter for me, enough to make it average rather than a total fail. 

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I would consider 4-6"  on March 14-15th to be pretty big.  How often do we get a SECS level snowfall in mid march or later?  Yes it sucks if just north of us gets more but that doesn't change our ground truth. 

Not often, but at the same time, my enthusiasm for winter starts to wane in March. The one thing that March has going for it more than other months is those intense, late season marginal thriller storms. I'd love to see a March 1958 storm, though that's too much to ask for, but 8" would be really good too.

19 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

If you're on a computer, it's under your username to the left of the post. On my phone, it's right under the post itself. "Options--> delete"

I think it's because he is weenie tagged and doesn't have the same posting rights as the rest of us. 

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Congrats. I'm struggling with that myself between getting older, working about 60 hours a week, and watching the toddler when my wife is working I have no time to work out anymore. Plus due to some old soccer injuries that I was warned would be a problem someday, and I guess it's now someday, running is hard on my ankles. But I just bought an elliptical and am watching what I eat which is hard for me because I was always active enough to just eat what I want. It's not easy and I hope I'm as successful as you have been. 

I'm probably a good bit older than you (48). My OP didn't have the accurate story. May of 2015 I was 230lbs and got a sorta crappy physical. Nothing tragic. Just the typical crap that comes along with getting old and being kinda fat. Doc said I'm at a crossroads. Lose weight and get in shape or most likely start having more serious issues in my 50s. So I drew the line. 

Total diet change in 2015 with cardio "whenever I felt like it". I quit drinking beer for a while but it didn't last. I did get down to 210-215 though so that was really good. Last summer I started backpeddling and struggling to maintain weight. Plus I drank a lot of beer last summer. Decided in September that I was going to take it to the next level. I couldn't break through the 210 barrier no matter how hard I tried. 

Strict diet, no alcohol, and an actual routine with cardio and weights. Started feeling really good. It was a buzz in itself. 30 hard minutes on the exercise bike or a 10 mile ride on my regular bike every other day with no excuses. Days off of cardio were 30-60 minutes of strength training and yoga. Yes, yoga. Everyone can stop laughing at me. lol. I have the highest respect for hard core yoga people now. That S will kick your A. I just broke below 195lbs last week. Never thought I'd see the day. 

I get it with having a young one though. It's hard. Very time consuming. And the last thing you want to do is spend your free time sweating your ass off and getting sore as hell. But there will be plenty of time in the future. I went from excellent shape in my 30s to a fat 46 year old. But turned it all around in less than 2 years. Anybody can do it. 

27 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm probably a good bit older than you (48). My OP didn't have the accurate story. May of 2015 I was 230lbs and got a sorta crappy physical. Nothing tragic. Just the typical crap that comes along with getting old and being kinda fat. Doc said I'm at a crossroads. Lose weight and get in shape or most likely start having more serious issues in my 50s. So I drew the line. 

Total diet change in 2015 with cardio "whenever I felt like it". I quit drinking beer for a while but it didn't last. I did get down to 210-215 though so that was really good. Last summer I started backpeddling and struggling to maintain weight. Plus I drank a lot of beer last summer. Decided in September that I was going to take it to the next level. I couldn't break through the 210 barrier no matter how hard I tried. 

Strict diet, no alcohol, and an actual routine with cardio and weights. Started feeling really good. It was a buzz in itself. 30 hard minutes on the exercise bike or a 10 mile ride on my regular bike every other day with no excuses. Days off of cardio were 30-60 minutes of strength training and yoga. Yes, yoga. Everyone can stop laughing at me. lol. I have the highest respect for hard core yoga people now. That S will kick your A. I just broke below 195lbs last week. Never thought I'd see the day. 

I get it with having a young one though. It's hard. Very time consuming. And the last thing you want to do is spend your free time sweating your ass off and getting sore as hell. But there will be plenty of time in the future. I went from excellent shape in my 30s to a fat 46 year old. But turned it all around in less than 2 years. Anybody can do it. 

Excellent! Congrats Bob! I lost 30 pounds back two summers ago (down to 165, which is weight I was senior in HS), and have slipped and half is back on to 180, btw I'm 5' 11", not the tallest of persons. Plan on getting back into routine and down to previous 165 this spring. And I've got a few more years on me than Bob, 52 now, so yes it can be done. 

Bob gets an attaboy.

My story is much the same.  I'm a little older but I was up to about 235 when I was about 46.  I'm 6'3 so I never actually looked heavy but it's still a bunch of weight to lug around. I still don't eat as healthy as I should, but with running a couple of days a week, one day of full court basketball, two or three days at the gym, and a racquetball match once or twice a week I manage to keep it at about 210.  That weight is ok for me. 

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

We should have a Geostorm movie night.  We could all meet up and watch then go for drinks after to discuss how plausible it is and that we could start on building such machines

I'd be all for that!

And how I am SURE we WILL get something Tuesday/Wednesday timeframe now....

Public Information Statement 
Issued by NWS Blacksburg, VA

Current Version | Previous Version | Text Only | Print | Product List | Glossary Off

Versions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

000 NOUS41 KRNK 081422 PNSRNK NCZ001>006-018>020-082000- PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA 921 AM EST WED MAR 8 2017 *****NWS BLACKSBURG WSR-88D WILL BE OFFLINE NEXT WEEK***** The WSR-88D weather radar used by the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Blacksburg VA will be down for approximately four days beginning Monday March 13, 2017, for technicians to install an important technological upgrade. The work on the WSR-88D has been scheduled to minimize any potential impacts to office operations, and will be delayed if hazardous weather is forecast. During the outage, radar coverage is available from adjacent radar sites, including Sterling, VA, Wakefield, VA, Raleigh, NC, Jackson, KY and Charleston WV. A crew will install a new signal processor, which replaces obsolete technology, improves processing speed and data quality, provides added functionality, and supports IT security. This is the first of four major upgrades, known as service life extension projects, planned in the next five years to replace and refurbish major components of the 20 year old WSR-88Ds and to keep the radars operational into the 2030s. The $150M investment is being made by the three organizations that operationally use these radars, the NOAA National Weather Service, United States Air Force and Federal Aviation Administration.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

We should have a Geostorm movie night.  We could all meet up and watch then go for drinks after to discuss how plausible it is and that we could start on building such machines

That would be fun

1 hour ago, H2O said:

the really believable thing about that movie would be that even with the ability to make weather happen anywhere on the planet it would still NOT snow in DC.

I thought H*ward already built the corn fuel machine

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived