Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Boom at 45 on the GFS. Probably just setting us up for the eventual let down as the event gets closer though. 

I'm not trolling here be careful. Gfs and nam were good but also have been trending south for several runs now. It was only a couple days ago I was south of the action and now I'm north. Yes they look good but be careful that their not just a pit stop on the way to the U.K. Euro idea of a weak wave suppressed south. 

2 hours ago, snowdude said:

I'm thinking we should follow the RGEM/CMC/GFS with this system. A burst of snow Saturday morning changing to sleet and or freezing rain. Leaning towards a minor event but enough to cause some problems. Models picking up on strong CAD/location of high now and keeping event farther south than they had it before. EURO is way sheared out IMO, however that is a strong high pressure north. 

That's right. Can I post here too? ;) 

Good response! I like that your analysis goes hand in hand with my previous comments whether deliberate or not. :)

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not trolling here be careful. Gfs and nam were good but also have been trending south for several runs now. It was only a couple days ago I was south of the action and now I'm north. Yes they look good but be careful that their not just a pit stop on the way to the U.K. Euro idea of a weak wave suppressed south. 

Given our fortune this season and the EURO bring the model of "No" so far this season...things probably are going south again...Shoot! I'm close to calling in the punt team for this (I hope suppression doesn't become a theme, smh But hopefully we get some more shots starting late in the month)

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Given our fortune this season and the EURO bring the model of "No" so far this season...things probably are going south again...Shoot! I'm close to calling in the punt team for this (I hope suppression doesn't become a theme, smh But hopefully we get some more shots starting late in the month)

I'm not throwing any towel yet just not in love with the trends either. Keep in mind I'm north of most in here so things are slipping away more so for me right now. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not throwing any towel yet just not in love with the trends either. Keep in mind I'm north of most in here so things are slipping away more so for me right now. 

How far north can you be? ;)

nam3km_ref_frzn_eus_47.png

Another key will be how quickly temps fall Friday evening.  If it starts out at snow at 35 degrees, it ain't sticking, not after this brief warmup and not with light precip.  Wondering how cold it ultimately gets.  Could be some wasted precip at the beginning depending on the temp at onset.

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I haven't seen a sounding posted yet that had a warm layer that screams sleet.  Low rates of precip maybe, but with any heavier precip, I think snow.

Precip looks pretty light overall, and there is a warm layer between 850 and 925 mb that pushes in from the SW. Location and timing of this varies between models and from run to run. Snowfall "estimates" seem high to me on NAM and GFS. I would expect it to be more mixy.

20 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Another key will be how quickly temps fall Friday evening.  If it starts out at snow at 35 degrees, it ain't sticking, not after this brief warmup and not with light precip.  Wondering how cold it ultimately gets.  Could be some wasted precip at the beginning depending on the temp at onset.

Euro/nam/rgem show plenty of hours of sub freezing late fri night and well into Sat. Looks to me like the biggest issue is precip. Temps look fine. Main roads prob won't be bad no matter what happens but it could easily be a wintry scene as long as precip is there. 

Northern tier may not go above freezing until sometime Sunday morning 

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro/nam/rgem show plenty of hours of sub freezing late fri night and well into Sat. Looks to me like the biggest issue is precip. Temps look fine. Main roads prob won't be bad no matter what happens but it could easily be a wintry scene as long as precip is there. 

Northern tier may not go above freezing until sometime Sunday morning 

Nice.  Yea I was more concerned with the intial batch.  I have seen in the past where temps don't drop like we expect and we end up with a mix and 37.  Hoping that's not the case.  Daytime snow is the shiz.

I've been a lurker on here for a while and I just wanted to thank everyone for all the very informative posts over the year. I've loved reading this forum. If there is one thing I've learned from this blog over the years though, it's that we are all probably overly optimistic about snow. So that being said, a not so bold prediction:

With clouds rolling in on Friday night we don't manage to cool to 32 from 48 degrees in 16 hours. We probably won't get there until midmorning Saturday if ever and ground temps will change even more slowly. Magically of our 3 inches of snow, 1 inch misses us, because there isn't a solid precip shield, 1 inch is wasted because it's just white rain, and the last inch changes over to sleet or plain rain. By the end of it we have a half inch of accumulated slop on grassy areas only. And that's if there is even qpf to talk about.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm rooting for you guys and this non-storm to prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

LOL, here we go again.

4 minutes ago, RockabilyJunior said:

I've been a lurker on here for a while and I just wanted to thank everyone for all the very informative posts over the year. I've loved reading this forum. If there is one thing I've learned from this blog over the years though, it's that we are all probably overly optimistic about snow. So that being said, a not so bold prediction:

With clouds rolling in on Friday night we don't manage to cool to 32 from 48 degrees in 16 hours. We probably won't get there until midmorning Saturday if ever and ground temps will change even more slowly. Magically of our 3 inches of snow, 1 inch misses us, because there isn't a solid precip shield, 1 inch is wasted because it's just white rain, and the last inch changes over to sleet or plain rain. By the end of it we have a half inch of accumulated slop on grassy areas only. And that's if there is even qpf to talk about.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm rooting for you guys and this non-storm to prove me wrong.

So you're saying there's a chance

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived