Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah, somehow the cold is further north but the precip further south.

Sorry, but my money ain't on the NAM

Me either but it's not just the nam. Gfs ggem euro U.K. Are all trending south every run compared to their last run. Euro and U.K. Now are a non event. If the trend continues the other guidance is heading that way too. Still time to recover but this is a bad time to be trending the wrong way. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Me either but it's not just the nam. Gfs ggem euro U.K. Are all trending south every run compared to their last run. Euro and U.K. Now are a non event. If the trend continues the other guidance is heading that way too. Still time to recover but this is a bad time to be trending the wrong way. 

Meh...it was trending "better" the day before last week and we know what happened,  so I'm not sure the trend matters when the computers seem to have little idea with these minor, meso events.

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

South? It looks like snow blossoms to the north of our CWA.  

The nam is jumping on the second wave Saturday afternoon into evening. That's a new development and we will have to see what the other 0z guidance says before deciding if it's just the nam being nam. But either way the mid levels are shot by then for anyone south of Westminster. It's actually a better run for me but that second batch the nam develops north isn't the threat the D.C. Area is tracking. The initial wave that comes in early Saturday is south. The second wave goes north but wouldn't be snow anyways. This is the last 3 nam runs for that first wave. You can see the trend. The stuff that goes north is irrelevant as that's not a snow threat for D.C. Anyways. 

IMG_0222.PNG

IMG_0221.PNG

IMG_0220.PNG

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Meh...it was trending "better" the day before last week and we know what happened,  so I'm not sure the trend matters when the computers seem to have little idea with these minor, meso events.

I'm not passing final judgement. But I dint like the trends. That's all. 

3 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

that nam run was still better than the euro - would like to see some more qpf on the euro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a low bar. The euro was a total non event. I guess it depends what your looking for. I suppose if the goal is to see some flakes and whiten the ground things are going fine. But if we were hopeful  this trended a little better into a respectable event that seems less likely each run.  It could turn around. These kinds of things give the models fits. But that doesn't mean I want to see a weaker wave each run leading up to it. 

That's a low bar. The euro was a total non event. I guess it depends what your looking for. I suppose if the goal is to see some flakes and whiten the ground things are going fine. But if we were hopeful  this trended a little better into a respectable event that seems less likely each run.  It could turn around. These kinds of things give the models fits. But that doesn't mean I want to see a weaker wave each run leading up to it. 

i agree thats why i mentioned i would like to see the euro step up its qpf as we get closer

expectations of qpf above .25 is probably asking a bit much in this setup unless you get the added lift in higher elevations - my bar has been low for this event - but i think an 1-2" of snow or sleet is possible if it comes together just right

5 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

expectations of qpf above .25 is probably asking a bit much in this setup unless you get the added lift in higher elevations - my bar has been low for this event - but i think an 1-2" of snow or sleet is possible if it comes together just right

Agree --that's my high bar for this event.

My bust is a coating [or less] of whatever frozen form exists on the ground, pretty much for anyone north of DC.  I won't be happy with anything that isn't more than a coating.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived