Newest Member
    joxey
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yea, a combo of 70 degrees then rain with dewpoints way above freezing over a 48 hour period would require a snowpack with at least 3" of water content to have even a small chance of surviving.  Places in WV and PA lost 3 feet of snowpack in 48 hours under such conditions in 1996.  I have seen a solid foot of hard packed icy snow obliterated at my house in 24 hours when dp get  into the 40s

I was there for that. 40+" snow in six(?) days, followed by an immense torch.

After this, there were quite a few students' cars that were still soaked from the flood and/or in sluch banks when we had a refreeze. Pretty wild stuff.

flood_st_george_st.jpg

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

HRRR has been moving the heavier axis of precip north a bit the past few runs. Something to keep an eye on I guess.

Thanks, how are temps responding?

eta: you might only want to consider answering if the trend is good

4 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

I admit that I was wrong about the snow pack and not that I'm "grasping for straws".  "i think you are just "...speaks for many

no. the whole notion of snow pack cooling the column, is grasping at straws. but whatevs. carry on. 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

no. the whole notion of snow pack cooling the column, is grasping at straws. but whatevs. carry on. 

It's not unusual for that much accumulation to stick around for 5 days or so.  Without yesterday's torch and whatever rain, this would be a different story.  I was simply speculating in an area that might affect us given certain conditions.  What brought you into this anyway?

1 minute ago, BTRWx said:

It's not unusual for that much accumulation to stick around for 5 days or so.  Without yesterday's torch and whatever rain, this would be a different story.  I was simply speculating in an area that might affect us given certain conditions.  What brought you into this anyway?

last i checked it was a thread anyone can post in. I'll see myself out. Thread is all yours. 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

last i checked it was a thread anyone can post in. I'll see myself out. Thread is all yours. 

of course it is and I'm sure you know how much I support that

eta: if people want me to post less often, ask and I will

12 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

Its a reach and will get commented on.  because thats what people do on a weather board.  She has just as much right to comment as I do.

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That depends on if you enjoy cold drizzle.

Does start as a few flakes though, ties for second best event of the season.

cold drizzle...but not FRDZ...I suppose.  the frozen kind would be ok I suppose just for a winter feel.  but 33 and drizzle would stink

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

cold drizzle...but not FRDZ...I suppose.  the frozen kind would be ok I suppose just for a winter feel.  but 33 and drizzle would stink

Don't think it ends up below 32 near the metro, though I didn't check too closely. Might pick up a dusting if you live north or west and the 4m soil temp isn't too bad. 

12 minutes ago, H2O said:

Its a reach and will get commented on.  because thats what people do on a weather board.  She has just as much right to comment as I do.

No question is a reach unless the person who asks already knows the answer.  I honestly did not know and I'm glad others clarified for me.

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I imagine the 4m soil temp would be pretty constant too, and well above freezing.

The antecedent airmass was just too mild.  Definitely one of my concerns with this setup. I think ppl get caught up in low and high location.  If ain't cold enough it ain't cold enough lol.  Hopefully we can still find a way to get snow tv even if ground temps are fringe.

Just now, 87storms said:

The antecedent airmass was just too mild.  Definitely one of my concerns with this setup. I think ppl get caught up in low and high location.  If ain't cold enough it ain't cold enough lol.  Hopefully we can still find a way to get snow tv even if ground temps are fringe.

This isn't one of those storms that makes its own cold?

29 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

of course it is and I'm sure you know how much I support that

eta: if people want me to post less often, ask and I will

Calm down...  I think people are getting a little edgy with the latest "fail".  First the models account for snowcover and its effects on the column.  Second, snowcover has a dramatic effect on surface temperatures but those decrease as you go up.  3rd, there was very little chance any snow survived the conditions of the last 48 hours down there.  I think some of us were poking fun, not attacking you or anyone.  I have and will again say some dumb things or be folly to weenieisms when trying to hold onto hope.  This threat is pretty much dead though, and maybe because its probably 2 weeks before we have anything else to track its not having a peaceful death.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived