Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

Ok, we get it

I'll delete the sig. You dont have to be so salty with me

perfect winter: 2-weeks cold/snow, 1-week warm/dry, 2-weeks cold/snow, 2-weeks warm/dry, a classic Nor'easter and very cold and picturesque week, then 2-weeks warm and outdoorsy, sunny and quite dry... (etc etc)

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Should be fine. Especially the highways. Obviously if you do encounter wintery conditions slow down but we're not talking anything major anywhere and probably nothing once your north of Wilmington. 

Thanks, that what I thought. I think December's ice storm has everyone skittish, with the tanker blowing up on 95 and all. 

20 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

My opinion is I wouldn't think twice about it and I'd definitely be going....but that's just me.   I'm also the kinda guy who will drive to Canaan Valley in a whiteout to go skiing. 

Yea I've done that to Snowshoe and Blue Knob before, but this time I'm transporting a 4 year old and a pregnant lady. Even so I haven't seen anything that would suggest the major highways would be a problem tomorrow, especially north and east. 

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

Tryng to take a road trip to the poconos tomorrow morning. NWS and tv have scared part of my party into thinking of canceling the trip. From what I'm seeing here, road conditions should actually be better the farther north we go. We were planning on taking 95 to 476. Sorry for the IMBY question, but what do you guys think?

I'm driving to Philly in the AM and expect passable conditions.

The conventional talk about this system is that it is long duration but low intensity.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

:lmao: you didn't know? There's even a turd line in there for the epic 2011-12 season. 

2013-2014 Winter Snowfall: 50.0"

November 26: T - Pingers in the early AM before the deluge || November 27: T - White rain with the wraparound || December 8: 1.25" - A few hours of light snow followed by sleetfest and pouring freezing rain overnight || December 10: 2" - Hype storm didn't live up to expectations (couple degrees too warm) || December 14: T - Awful storm - poured rain with a few sleet pellets for a bit || December 17-18: .25" - Overnight vort passage = dusting on everything || January 2-3: 3.5" - Overperformer followed up by blustery cold || January 21: 6" - Educated, rounded guess based on other obs - was out of town for this one || January 25: T - Short snow shower with front || January 28: 1" - Frigid late north-trending event || February 3: T - Too warm - lots of rain followed by slushy globs at the end || February 8: T - Tiny flakes for a couple hours during the day || February 9: T - Decent couple hours of snow, may have gotten .25" || February 12-13: 14.5" - 12.75" in 14 hours with the front end, 1.75" with ULL || February 15: T - A few hours of very light snow (I think) || Feb 17-18: .5" - Overnight convective-type snow shower || February 25: 3.25" - Overperformer with snow ripping for a few hours in the morning || February 26: 1.5" - Morning snowfall freshened up yesterday's snowpack || March 3: 4.75" || March 16-17: 8.5" - Cold St. Paddy's Day (night) powder - craic-alicious! || March 24: 3" - Daytime snow accumulated even on sidewalks

2011-2012 Winter Snowfall: 2.75" || 2012-2013 Winter Snowfall: 11.0"How to use apostrophes: http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/apostrophes_using_apostrophes.htm

:lol: 

I kind of remember the apostrophes link, i had no idea on the rest!

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Sorry about the banter. I was never really in on this but hopefully we get a good trend closer to gametime. NAM didn't look awful for frozen. RGEM looks ok through 12. 

I forgot about the RGEM.  Thanks for checking.  I lost hope a while ago.

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

Tryng to take a road trip to the poconos tomorrow morning. NWS and tv have scared part of my party into thinking of canceling the trip. From what I'm seeing here, road conditions should actually be better the farther north we go. We were planning on taking 95 to 476. Sorry for the IMBY question, but what do you guys think?

No problems Im in Media pa right off 476 its brimed and ready to go for the 0.04" of snow we will get.  Also it was 66f yesterday and in the upper 40s all day.  Its currently 35f here and you will see zero on paved surfaces.

That sounds like max potential at this point

Eh, I could see a 2" max still. If we can get the heavier precip to shift north some, and get some good old Evap cooking, along with some of the 850s near zero that the RGEM and NAM are trying to produce, someone in MD could get lucky. Maybe also out towards Winchester.

It's all very improbable though. I'd just appreciate seeing some wintery something before the torch.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived