Newest Member
    joxey
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The 14z HRRR had the DCA area at 37/29 at 8z, and the southward push of the drier DPs had stopped.  Not ideal if you are looking for interesting ZR.

I agree, the trend there is not good

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Is this is a serious question? I'd assume it melted in the 70s yesterday, not sure they ended up with more then 3".

I thought some areas came close to 6"?  Richmond at least topped that by a good 2" more I believe.

verification-01072017.jpg&w=1484

1 minute ago, BTRWx said:

I thought some areas came close to 6"?  Richmond at least topped that by a good 2" more I believe.

some places down there had 6-8" but it wouldnt matter, you would need 20" to have any shot of surviving the temps the last couple days.  Even 20" might not have made it at all.  I lost about 16" of snowpack in one day with a 45 degree rain back in 2009.  

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

some places down there had 6-8" but it wouldnt matter, you would need 20" to have any shot of surviving the temps the last couple days.  Even 20" might not have made it at all.  I lost about 16" of snowpack in one day with a 45 degree rain back in 2009.  

But even a couple inches left can help cool the column...

14 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

I'm working on a closer zoom, but it's tough to tell.

GOES15452017013n0DPEq.jpg

While everyone else is so bitter, I'll share what I think might be a sample image from the old experimental GOES-r imagery with an uploaded screenshot. http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/images/latest_hi_res/goes-r_proving_ground/geocolor_nolights_eastconusfullres.gif

and the rest of the layers http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/goes-r_proving_ground.asp#GeoColor_Multi-Sensor_Imagery

goesr satellite jan 13.jpg

15 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be blunt or rude if it came across that way. I guess its possible some snowcover remains, but I doubt it helps cool us down.

You might still be right.  I just can't stand when someone tries to pull facts from their minds that can rarely be known without data from such dynamic processes.

32 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You can survive warm temps if you have very low humidity, but yesterday's combo of warmth and high dp's would destroy snow in a hurry.

38 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I thought Wes ended up with 3", and he's pretty deep in Southern Maryland. Either way, it is definitely gone now. 

No I'm not, I'm as far north in Calvert as you can get.  The southern part of the county got up 7.5 inches.  St. mary's who is deep in southern Maryland got over 8. 

15 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You can survive warm temps if you have very low humidity, but yesterday's combo of warmth and high dp's would destroy snow in a hurry.

yea, a combo of 70 degrees then rain with dewpoints way above freezing over a 48 hour period would require a snowpack with at least 3" of water content to have even a small chance of surviving.  Places in WV and PA lost 3 feet of snowpack in 48 hours under such conditions in 1996.  I have seen a solid foot of hard packed icy snow obliterated at my house in 24 hours when dp get  into the 40s

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived