Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/14 - 15 Minor Snow and Ice Threat

Bob Chill

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS sucks at CAD/wedge stuff. Go with the NAM thermals and whatever model give you the most precip. 

Joking aside, I think there's some truth to this maybe with emphasis on what I bold.  As far as precip, would it be too farfetched to say globals would tend to have a better depiction of precip areal coverage for cad/wedge stuff?  I honestly don't know about the second part...?

20 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Per Wes, "I don't trust the model forecasts of light precipitation when the forcing is weak, sometimes the models overdo the amounts and the precipitation field is often fractured."  

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This sentence confuses me. I might need commas where there are none.

Fixed it for you.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I guess I'm confused in that he says he doesn't trust forecasts of light precipitation when forcing is weak...but wouldn't weak forcing argue for light precipitation?

He's saying to not trust the juicy model forecasts because precip is blotchy instead of solid shield and mid level forcing isn't very impressive so heavy rates for longer periods of time is pretty unlikely. 

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I guess I'm confused in that he says he doesn't trust forecasts of light precipitation when forcing is weak...but wouldn't weak forcing argue for light precipitation?

It's called weak sauce qpf vs. mountain = don't trust

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

He's saying to not trust the juicy model forecasts because precip is blotchy instead of solid shield and mid level forcing isn't very impressive so heavy rates for longer periods of time is pretty unlikely. 

That's what I figured. Just didn't add up to me.

I'm looking too hard.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hr54 on the gfs is the best panel for wintry wx. If you look at the 700mb vv's you can see there isn't much lift going on. Enough for light precip but not impressive at all. 

gfs_namer_054_700_rh_ht.gif

Isn't that what we need for ice rinks?

eta: ie., any stronger forcing would mix the warmth down to the surface quicker?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived