• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 29th Storm Obs

HIPPYVALLEY

As the echoes started to move north to south in the late afternoon, and even built back se to nw, I was waiting for the magic to happen.  Looked like a perfect set up for a heavy band to form w and n of CON, especially since the storm was intensifying.  But then you could see the intense radar echoes consolidating to our east and ne, and that was that.  I gave up around 6pm.  Still, 8 inches of snow and around 25" in December is nothing to complain about.  This is a very different winter than the last few, and I think the best is yet to come for most of us.  Also, thanks to so many on here, this was a great learning in terms of how to use the models.  I think we'll see that sort of discussion many more times this season, and I will probably have a more realistic sense of things.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is a gross oversimplification--and pretty obvious to most--but if you're forecasting a track over SE NH/NE MA and then it tracks over CC, you're going to have a large forecast error for snow totals, regardless of the details. That was a 75-100 mile error. Now take the heaviest banding and shift that northwest 75 miles and voila, the nw zones get hit hard. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but we must have a VERY accurate idea on where this will track before trying to figure out anything else. If not, you basically risk making an error that gets propagated and exacerbated when forecasting the details.  

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wow....amazing it was 10:1 there given the rates and how far north you are. QPF bomb. I'm majorly jealous. I haven't had one of these since moving here (last one I recall is March 2001) and even after waking up yesterday morning I thought it was still mine. Alas the models pulled the football from me when I was about to kick the crap out of it. Congrats to you Mainers though. Those are some wackadoo totals.

If I'd measured right after the snow ended, the stack might've been taller by an inch or so.  Oddly, my last big storm here, Jan. 27-28, 2015 (the one I missed, except for getting to clear the driveway) was also a qpf monster - 2.17" for 20" snowfall.  Much different event, though, as that earlier one was a true blizzard at single-digit temps.  The consistency was like sand, and quite difficult to walk thru as one's feet tried to slide sideways.  Last night's storm had only light winds until near the end and came at mid-upper 20s.  The snow would pack well, so well that I had to hand-shovel where I'd walked earlier to get the snow core, as the snowblower would just climb over the packed footprints.  I did not stay up past about 10:45, but based on when things finished, it appears that we received 17" accum in the 7 hours 8P-3A.  Probably some hours with 3"+ in that span.

BHB is Mid-Coast.  I'd go with DE starting at Belfast.

I think you might be a bit turned around, as BHB is 40 miles east of Belfast.  IMO, midcoast is about Brunswick to Camden (or perhaps Belfast though I consider that to be Penobscot Bay), and DE Maine starts at Mt. Desert Island.  Some would push the line back west to about Castine.  Of course, such designations are just as fuzzy as defining SNE/CNE/NNE.   ;)

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If I'd measured right after the snow ended, the stack might've been taller by an inch or so.  Oddly, my last big storm here, Jan. 27-28, 2015 (the one I missed, except for getting to clear the driveway) was also a qpf monster - 2.17" for 20" snowfall.  Much different event, though, as that earlier one was a true blizzard at single-digit temps.  The consistency was like sand, and quite difficult to walk thru as one's feet tried to slide sideways.  Last night's storm came at mid-upper 20s and would pack well, so well that I had to hand-shovel where I'd walked earlier to get the snow core, as the snowblower would just climb over the packed footprints.  I did not stay up past about 10:45, but based on when things finished, it appears that we received 17" accum in the 7 hours 8P-3A.  Probably some hours with 3"+ in that span.

BHB is Mid-Coast.  I'd go with DE starting at Belfast.

I think you might be a bit turned around, as BHB is 40 miles east of Belfast.  IMO, DE Maine starts at Mt. Desert Island, though some would push the line back to about Castine.

Oops--I thought BHB was Boothbay.  What is BHB?

I love Castine--came close to moving there when I was a kid.

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It wasn't an easy storm to forecast...that's for sure. Though I'm still a bit surprised that your area didn't pull solid double digits. I figured your area up to around Ossipee was pretty safe for that...the latter still did well (think they scored around 15"), but that western zone of the commahead really got compressed east and it cost your area a bit. I suppose the compact nature of this should have been a little more of a red flag for big totals in areas further west, but it was hard to really rely on that, especially since some of the model guidance was producing mid-level tracks pretty far west until the last possible second. This was a pretty poorly modeled storm overall...I'm sure the explosive and mesoscale nature of the development contributed significantly to the model errors. The Euro was by far the most consistent and correct model...but as you mentioned, it still had its warts in this one.

He missed it by maybe 20 miles. I agree, I thought a little mid level magic would happen there but it compressed east last minute. Some of those high res runs were a little wild though. I don't think anybody bought the low crossing IZG like some of the runs had.

awesome squall! Can't remember the last time I watched literally a wall of snow move towards mby. At one point there was flurries a couple hundred feet down the street and near white-out conditions a couple hundred feet in the other direction. Also constant 30-40 mph gusts for the duration of the squall (about 5 minutes). Despite finishing with only .3", I'd say this was one of the most impressive snow squalls in at least a couple years. 

3 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

awesome squall! Can't remember the last time I watched literally a wall of snow move towards mby. At one point there was flurries a couple hundred feet down the street and near white-out conditions a couple hundred feet in the other direction. Also constant 30-40 mph gusts for the duration of the squall (about 5 minutes). Despite finishing with only .3", I'd say this was one of the most impressive snow squalls in at least a couple years. 

Wow was a wall nice!

5 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

Yeah, squall just roared through Framingham. Awesome! Wish it lasted longer.

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Well sounds like you got the lower end of the range anyways. Thought you'd do better, but the subby hole, marginal low levels, and later development sort of added to the lower values. Did better than 3" that you were afraid of only getting. 

ASH did a get a local screw zone. They are pretty much surrounded by higher totals, and it looks like it is mostly elevation based. The warm air just hung tough there. 

7 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks like the top #s are just to the W of Lake Sebago.  

Everything came together perfectly there. Mid level forcing, low level forcing over the coastal front, terrain forcing (you do have over 1000 feet elevation in the western parts of those two counties. 

Topo.jpeg

Archived