Newest Member
    joxey
December 29th Storm Obs

HIPPYVALLEY

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

No. BUT that can often indicate the globals are too far SE. Basically, in general, one should expect the NAM to be further NW than the globals. If it isn't it can sometimes be used as a red flag that the globals are too far SE. 

Without the midlevel support for NH we should have known better. SW ME jack was a result of a lot of things... Low level forcing, mid level, frigging everything. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The 00z GFS I think from yesterday had the 700 low closing off NE of IZG. The euro had it east near PWM where it happened. I think the euro in the time of need really did well in maine. The GFS crapped itself in the last 36 hrs.  Euro in the 2-3 days prior was too far west.

Can't name the last time the GFS has done anything

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

GFS was terrible here, It had me seeing mostly rain, i did not receive any, The Nam had rain here as well, But it was not far off with the qpf, But that's the GFS its bias with BL temps

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the euro had the best forecast as a whole for days. No model is going to get every detail perfectly right. They're just guidance. The euro had the best clue as to how the system was going to evolve...it was just a little too far west. Unfortunately for me that was the difference between 8" and 18".

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

GFS was terrible here, It had me seeing mostly rain, i did not receive any, The Nam had rain here as well, But it was not far off with the qpf, But that's the GFS its bias with BL temps

That's the thing. I use the GFS only for track/intensity, UL development etc. Using it explicitly to determined RN/SN/mix line and snow totals in marginal setups is an absolute no-no.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the euro had the best forecast as a whole for days. No model is going to get every detail perfectly right. They're just guidance. The euro had the best clue as to how the system was going to evolve...it was just a little too far west. Unfortunately for me that was the difference between 8" and 18".

No, I agree, That's why its best to blend because of the bias factors

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That's the thing. I use the GFS only for track/intensity, UL development etc. Using it explicitly to determined RN/SN/mix line and snow totals in marginal setups is an absolute no-no.

I had posted that WPC track map 2 days back that had this going over the outer cape into DE maine and you made the comment that that track was reasonable as i recall

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I had posted that WPC track map 2 days back that had this going over the outer cape into DE maine and you made the comment that that track was reasonable as i recall

Yes. I guess we can debate "DE maine" but I was pretty well set on this being east of Portland ME--but definitely not east of Bangor's longitude.

I noticed pretty quickly that the mesos were having this system bend back wayyy to quickly, based on the upper levels. The track from CC to east of Portland always made most sense to me.

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Well BHB was where it looked to track, I think the Euro had it there as well

Yea that's further east than I thought. But in general, I liked the WPC's forecast, and that turned out to be a very good one for track/intensity. That evolution also said (implicitly) that the northwest folks were out of the game for big snows. 

24 minutes ago, dryslot said:

One storm and we are slightly over 50% of climo and its December...........lol

Let's just hope we don't get any big rainers in the near future.

I was surprised how much PWM ended up with. Not sure down by the water, but up here at work, near Riverside golf course, looks like 8-9". Wonder what PWMan got as he was raining till ~9pm.

JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU TO , Coastal wx, 40/70,moneypitmike, dendrite, dryslot,baroclinc zone(for his humor!)met from Portland wx,domnh, chris(nas. met) and others, you all said hang in there it will change over, after torrential rains last night, before the rain I say a good inch, then out plowing, I would say another 4-5", I know I'm a pain in the A**, but you guys help me plan for snow removal operations etc, Happy New year to all..................I wait for the next one, and hopefully cash in better then this one!

Just now, 512high said:

JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU TO , Coastal wx, 40/70,moneypitmike, dendrite, dryslot,baroclinc zone(for his humor!)met from Portland wx,domnh, chris(nas. met) and others, you all said hang in there it will change over, after torrential rains last night, before the rain I say a good inch, then out plowing, I would say another 4-5", I know I'm a pain in the A**, but you guys help me plan for snow removal operations etc, Happy New year to all..................I wait for the next one, and hopefully cash in better then this one!

Just put the fisher xv in scoop and enjoy 

Just now, 512high said:

You get the the triple :weenie::weenie::weenie: award for this subforum.  Running neck and neck with James.

Archived