joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 29th Storm Obs

HIPPYVALLEY

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last gasp of heavy snow in Yarmouth, Maine. I'm only up because the power cycled off and back on again. Giving it a 50-50 that I'll have power later this morning. All the trees are absolutely caked with snow; some large pines' lower limbs touching the ground. Winds are quite gusty. Looking at radar I think this is the last heavy gasp now. 

IMG_5203.PNG

1 minute ago, codfishsnowman said:

those one inch reports for my area must be northern/eastern parts of town...I am not even sure if I had .1 here

What did Kevin end up with??   He was thinking he would get 4 or 5 inches and there would be some surprises with this one.   I think it was a total bust in CT with regards to snow on this one.   Which I was thinking would be the case.   

33 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was going to say. Ha

So this is how sick I am.

I went to my car once I saw the rain snow line falling back to Boston and intended to drive around the city. Then all of a sudden... BOOM.

The thundersnow sent me into some kind of weenie rage because next thing I knew I was 95 toward Maine. Before I knew it I was in the middle of a three way weenie pants tent with Ray and Corey P on the phone for about 15 minutes talking about the storm. Right as I was deciding whether or not to head into the storm, the 8 inch an hour report came in. Then Eric had 4" in an hour. That sealed the deal.

It was all good until about Portsmouth. The road had become snow covered and rather treacherous due to the layer of rain under the snow. It got a lot easier as I caught up to a large group of slow moving traffic and plows. They then exited the highway after the bridge crossing into Maine and things went downhill fast. I made it one exit up (17) and parked behind the Stonewall Kitchen building to take a break. 

The snow only continued to pick up. I decided to try and get back on 95 N and head toward interior York county. Snow growth was off the charts for this entire time period until I exited Maine hours later. Just pouring half dollars out of the sky.

I could barely see anything and I was becoming worried about the status of the road in front of me with the excessive totals. It was becoming obvious that the storm was going to continue to dump several inches an hour as I continued North toward Biddeford. The best option was getting off the highway at exit 19 and heading up 109 to Sanford. It seemed like the worst of the snow was about to pull out of Wells. If the side roads were doable I wanted to try and reach Waterboro and Hollis to see some of the more extreme totals but it was soon obvious that was a bad idea. 

Rt. 109 was barely plowed. If I didn't have an SUV or capable vehicle I'd probably be off the road still. I was forced to travel under 30 for the entire drive to Sanford. The gradient between Wells and Sanford was incredible. There was probably 6-10" in Wells at the time. In that 11 mile drive snow totals increased to what appeared to be 25-30" of snow. When I left the town it was still falling.

Then I screwed up big time. My phone made it look like 202 was a highway. I had never been in the area before and as some of you likely know it's a two lane road. There were no other cars and it was obvious that plows were not prioritizing that area. It took what seemed like forever to travel SW to Rochester. Road conditions started to improve and snow totals went down during the trek. Probably 12-15" in Rochester seemed like nothing compared to earlier. I finally got on the Spaulding Turnpike and eventually saw asphalt. Due to the speed restriction I couldn't go over about 50 mph until I reached the Maine/NH border.

It started off as a hell of a ride but next time I'll just turnaround and head back to 95. The shortcut from hell.

result.jpg

23 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What did Kevin end up with??   He was thinking he would get 4 or 5 inches and there would be some surprises with this one.   I think it was a total bust in CT with regards to snow on this one.   Which I was thinking would be the case.   

I think he had 4 combined, he had a nice burst at the end and his elevation was huge for him

Archived