joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thread for 12/14 potential dusting, arctic air, and 12/17 potential slop

North Balti Zen

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took my jeep out earlier...not the interstate.  Was slick, but not terrible.  The typical areas (sidewalks, side streets, etc.) were worse.  Main streets were more slush than a rink...at least in Bethesda.  Could have been worse if more prolonged.  Was concerned my power would go out, but luckily that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, gymengineer said:

What's no-contest is the GFS vs. NAM for rising above freezing times. Pretty much every freezing rain event we can think of in the past few years has seen the NAM picking up on the surface wedge better than the GFS.

Thats the one thing the NAM is good for. Just a matter of resolution.

59 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

What makes people go out and drive in this?

That was insane!!!!! Glad I stayed off the roads.

15 minutes ago, Amped said:

Thats the one thing the NAM is good for. Just a matter of resolution.

it's really not an issue of resolution.    That does help (4km NAM was better than the parent 12 km NAM, although resolution isn't the only factor), but the parent NAM and GFS are run at basically the same resolution (12 vs 13 km), and the NAM kept in the sfc cold air way better than the GFS did.

26 minutes ago, high risk said:

it's really not an issue of resolution.    That does help (4km NAM was better than the parent 12 km NAM, although resolution isn't the only factor), but the parent NAM and GFS are run at basically the same resolution (12 vs 13 km), and the NAM kept in the sfc cold air way better than the GFS did.

We keep talking about horizontal resolution, but vertical resolution is just as important. The fact that the tops of my tall trees could be seen swaying in the wind, while the surface layer was still with a temp stuck at 32°F tells you how incredibly shallow the CAD can get. If models cannot resolve this degree of vertical resolution/near-ground stratification of temperature, then they'll likely mix down the waa too quickly. 

For us folks that live on the south side of the Potomac it was pretty much a non-event. Sure there was sleet and ice but the amounts were paltry compared to areas in Maryland. I got .05 in rain/sleet. Just not much to fuss about. In fact my street is dry my sidewalks are dry and there's only a little remaining moisture in the grass. Most of the models nailed the placement. The thump New York City got was supposed to be ours five days ago.

13 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

For us folks that live on the south side of the Potomac it was pretty much a non-event. Sure there was sleet and ice but the amounts were paltry compared to areas in Maryland. I got .05 in rain/sleet. Just not much to fuss about. In fact my street is dry my sidewalks are dry and there's only a little remaining moisture in the grass. Most of the models nailed the placement. The thump New York City got was supposed to be ours five days ago.

I thought it was ok.  My neighborhood was pure ice until 11 and both me and the dog slipped on the stoop.  Car was a block of ice.  Not bad but maybe I just dumbed down my expectations.  It was a ice diversion from model watching.

In hindsight this was actually a  decent ZR setup.   Surface had been well below freezing for over 24hrs and was in the upper 20s with low dewpoints when the precip started.  Any liquid that fell on the roads was instantly going to turn to black ice. Would have been a lot worse if this had occurred during a rush hour or travel day.

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived