North Balti Zen

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, high risk said:

midnight obs:    IAD   52

DCA  48

BWI  34 

Up 15 degrees in Round Hill the last 2 hours. Winds went from calm to now 10mph with gusts to 23 out of the SSW. Cool stuff...

It feels like early May outside, 57/54 in the middle of the night!!!!!!!

This is what happens when the mean 500 trough is persistent in the center of the US. We will experience glancing blows of paralyzing arctic air followed by unbelievable mild weather which will be VERY VOLATILE for the eastern US.  This is typical neutral negative enso weather. We will see these cycles over and over and over and over and over again.

I still stubbornly insist that we will enjoy a decent snowy winter, but it is going to be extremely volatile, with strong emphasis on EXTREME. You will need to keep a spring wardrobe and a deep extreme winter wardrobe on hand for the next  three and a half months. Spring will be delayed also as the mean 500 trough finally shifts east just in time for it to give us not snow but stacked lows spinning in place for days and days with chilly drizzle in April and May.

Sound familiar? Remember May 2016?

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
11 hours ago, das said:

Love the microclimate stuff going on right now. High point in Clarksburg is 700' around 1/2 mile from my house. It's 42F there. Here at my house in a little hollow at 570' on Parr's Ridge, it's 33.1F with a completely calm wind, a degree off of the high for the day. 

I tend to to geek out about this stuff as I visualize the physics going on. My wife says I am a nerd...

When I was in Tallahassee, we'd have some crazy winter morning temp ranges between the TLH airport, which sits in a bowl, and downtown Tallahassee which is up on some hills only eight miles away.  Once I heard 32 at the airport and 51 in town.

We could also go from the upper teens to the 60s then back to the teens in very dry winter air masses.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived