Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

mattie g

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Dropping this here to echo a comment I made and Eskimo made in the event thread, the Canadian really did pretty great with this at long range (stayed with the colder and wetter solution ) and rgem did great close in.

I know it's fashionable to complain mightily about the models, especially if they don't show what people want to see, but it's really incredible how good they've become.  This storm was advertised 8+ days out for the Fri/Sat timeframe in a VERY difficult forecasting environment when many of the components that made up this storm did not even exist.  To varying degrees, they all said there was going to be a borderline storm right here in the mid-Atlantic and wavered critical components like the boundary, low placements, timing, etc... by small deviations throughout the week.  Very impressive, especially with the progressive flow regime the CONUS is under.

For the first time that I can ever remember, the 40 pound bag of ice melter from Lowe's did absolutely nothing on

the cast iron frozen stuff on my driveway.   I put the stuff down at 11:30 am this morning and it didn't melt anything.

The temperature for many hours has been 32 to 33 back and forth. You'd think it is -40 F due to the lack of slush.  Very strange.

Safe Step dual blend ice melter.

sodium chloride

magnesium chloride hexahydrate

Corrosion inhibitor

1 hour ago, H2O said:

6 more shopping days

We made the mistake of going out yesterday, have done all our shopping online and the "Elves" have been delivering packages. We needed some last minute items for my oldest daughters spirit week at school. You know Christmas PJ's, ugly sweater, elf items ect... Never again I told her! If she wants to dress up she needs to get me a list to order off of Amazon in advance!

On 12/17/2016 at 11:26 AM, das said:

I know it's fashionable to complain mightily about the models, especially if they don't show what people want to see, but it's really incredible how good they've become.  This storm was advertised 8+ days out for the Fri/Sat timeframe in a VERY difficult forecasting environment when many of the components that made up this storm did not even exist.  To varying degrees, they all said there was going to be a borderline storm right here in the mid-Atlantic and wavered critical components like the boundary, low placements, timing, etc... by small deviations throughout the week.  Very impressive, especially with the progressive flow regime the CONUS is under.

Nice try, but it's falling on deaf ears. The way folks here live and die by each model run's output leads them to believe the models suck when they see inconsistencies. It gives them something to complain about forgetting what they are viewing is modeled solns (guidance), not deterministic scenarios, which is always wrong to some degree. Turns out to be a rather miserable hobby for them, esp this time of year.      

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm always amazed by how well weather is modeled.  I can't even begin to imagine what goes into developing a program that complex.

I feel bad for the mathematicians who invested their lives for us to be able to do this.

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm always amazed by how well weather is modeled.  I can't even begin to imagine what goes into developing a program that complex.

Very few people do understand.  The atmospheric physics and chemistry involved is profoundly complex, dynamic and chaotic.  Understanding that to any useful capability alone is noteworthy.  Then turning that understanding into code is equally complex and impressive.  Sitting that on top of a profoundly complex infrastructure layer only adds to that.  

To get a very small peek, take a look at this deck from the integrated team trying to successfully model the effects of the MJO as it encounters the maritime continent.  This is not turning the MJO into code, it's simply one small stressor on the MJO and the discussion is distilled down to it's simplest form, a 20 page slide deck.  

2.2_Vintzileos.pdf

42 minutes ago, isohume said:

Nice try, but it's falling on deaf ears. The way folks here live and die by each model run's output leads them to believe the models suck when they see inconsistencies. It gives them something to complain about forgetting what they are viewing is modeled solns (guidance), not deterministic scenarios, which is always wrong to some degree. Turns out to be a rather miserable hobby for them, esp this time of year.      

Started following the models in 96 when anything after day 3 was quite often a crap-shoot so where they stand now is like night to day from 20 years ago. The accuracy they now display on the large scale patterns @15+ days as well as the smaller scale features is mind boggling. Have to chuckle when I think about how many of our posters would have handled the models then.

35 minutes ago, das said:

Very few people do understand.  The atmospheric physics and chemistry involved is profoundly complex, dynamic and chaotic.  Understanding that to any useful capability alone is noteworthy.  Then turning that understanding into code is equally complex and impressive.  Sitting that on top of a profoundly complex infrastructure layer only adds to that.  

To get a very small peek, take a look at this deck from the integrated team trying to successfully model the effects of the MJO as it encounters the maritime continent.  This is not turning the MJO into code, it's simply one small stressor on the MJO and the discussion is distilled down to it's simplest form, a 20 page slide deck.  

2.2_Vintzileos.pdf

I thought this was going to be a bunch of code.  I love indulging myself with such presentations!  Thanks for sharing!

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Weathersbuff trolling NYC now saying no snow for coast but interior will do ok.  He is a broken record. And wrong if he thinks interior PA will do well in this pattern. 

If he is talking Erie, who will probably cash in on some lake effect, as interior then he would be right. :) Otherwise I think you have to look at upstate New York as the farthest south you will probably see anything meaningful.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived