joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heavy mist with intermittent showers is the best for ice accretion.if you're looking for us you really don't want anything to moderate or heavy because it will run off and the latent heat release of the heavy rains will cause the temperature to warm. Keep it exactly like this and everyone will be happy.

A round of popcorn looks on tap the next hour or so. Looks convective in nature.

Right-- looks pretty close to what the 18Z 4kNAM was showing: spotty just south of this band through 7 pm before a more consolidated band moves in again before 10 pm. (Yes, it's a composite radar, but was the easiest to load quickly.)

nam4km_ref_uv10m_neus_1.png

I love the phrase "convective in nature" during winter :)

Still holding at 26. I'm starting to think this event might be pretty far from over. Cold definitely seems to be dug in.

I'm pretty surprised with temps too. I fully expected to be above freezing shortly after sunset. Bad assumption this go around. I'm usually not far enough west to hold temps well but this is one of those infrequent times where many of us get ice accretion as opposed to the usual suspects.

Ground is really cold too. Fun event for sure. I'm not sure anyone can say this is a subpar winter anymore. Well...except for NPZ...lol

I'd love hours and hours and hours and hours of heavy freezing drizzle.

Ice is one of the best sources of happiness in my life. It's outright hilarious watching ppl walking like penguins trying to walk on ice. I just walk steadily past them on my jebwalk, savoring the cool, refreshing weather as I happily slide on the ice.

Ha! I had 2.9 also. I wanted to get to 3 pretty bad but it would have been dishonest to claim it for my yard.

It's slick out there. I shoveled my drive earlier and I would slide right to the bottom if I had the guts to try. Too old for that.

Temp wobbling between 26-27 here

Yeah, early this morning I was hoping for 4".

I haven't shoveled yet. Let glaze stay on the snow.

Archived