joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i think most people thought it was going to snow before the storm even though a few folks were trying to act like they were the only ones calling for snow. i do recall that though, and perhaps was closest to actual evolution of most of us. still don't feel like anyone bit on the southern bullseye really.. nor hit on the higher totals.

actually in the end for DC this will probably end up fairly close to how many of us expected but on the higher side maybe.

there was probably too much focus on the main low.. though the spinsters will just pretend that doesn't happen lol.

I kinda had a hunch how this was going to evolve a few days ago then once I knew my area was not going to do well, stuck in between the two areas that get snow, I tuned out. In the end the waa wave one was slightly stronger and a little north of where I thought from 3 days ago. I thought Roanoke area would do very well

Then somewhere in central va an area of 3-6" would streak across. That was closer to dc then I thought and 6-9" so I'm impressed. I was more focused on trying to get the main storm cold enough for me to hold my snowcover but that became a lost cause days ago. Your right on most of the forecasts seeming more focused on the main low and missing the split nature of this.

I think you've handled this event pretty well.  When you stick your neck out there with very specific, detailed predictions starting a week out, like some of us do, there are going to be some stumbles along the way.  It was a complicated event.  I didn't pay any attention to the JB's of the world, but as far as the people in this forum, we are a talented group.  Collectively we've done well with a complex event.

yes, I think that's true.

You did well for this area. Shouldn't you have a red tag?

no I was a meteorology major at penn state but I changed majors after 3 years and never finished my met degree. It's just a hobby now. No regrets I love teaching and politics but I may go back and finish someday just because it irks me to have gotten so close and not finished.

Going with 3.25. Seems to have packed down some.

Today was a major win imo. Cold smoke most of the night. That was beautiful. Then today was great. Stayed cold all day. I definitely was able to enjoy my snow. I had a ton of fun in this one. I was out cutting trees down at 9 this morning lol.

I'm going with about 3" here.

no I was a meteorology major at penn state but I changed majors after 3 years and never finished my met degree. It's just a hobby now. No regrets I love teaching and politics but I may go back and finish someday just because it irks me to have gotten so close and not finished.

I can definitely see your met knowledge. Like reading your posts.

Just went out one last time for more precise measurements, and will go with 3.3" as a final drive-in total.  A few areas were pushing 4", a few closer to ~3.

Nothing falling now, but kind of a dark sky.  Brushed off the car (finally!)...awaiting the ice.

(ETA:  Nice to have another event that covers the grass!  Hopefully can do that again the latter part of this month and/or early March!)

26/22 with light freezing rain.

Snowpacked roads are nice and slippery. I was absolutely DELIGHTED! Ice even formed on my snow shovel while I was using it! The lower handle was slick with ice!

Tonight will be fun, with all of the freezing rain.

I am really hoping the RAP/HRRR are right about .25 to .5 of ZR.

I LOVE ICE!

It was really fun to dig snow because some of the snow was wet and it stuck to my shovel. Thats pure Heaven to a Jay Peak, Vermont devotee like myself.

I hate snowblowers though. They deny me my sport, which is digging massive amounts of snow!

Archived