joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't even a complicated storm to measure.  I feel like they are passive-aggressively retaliating for all the Blizzard push back.  I mean, I am near downtown DC and have 3.5", and that is depth.  I never swept or anything.  So there is some compaction.  

Yeah, no kidding.  Much easier to measure than the blizzard, as there is almost literally no wind out there now.  I still do not understand their blizzard total.  There was a 19" report about a mile west of there, and there were FOUR reports of over 20" within the District itself (and not just the more elevated northwest areas).  So DCA is apparently not the most representative at best, and possibly poorly/negligently measured at worst, it appears...seems to be the case in many of the more historical-level events, as those receive more attention.

As for the current event...3.2" here, as of about 1:30ish PM.  Pretty much stopped right now, I guess the sleet and ice is next a bit later on.

Couldn't decide the right play so just went ahead and shoveled. It will get really icy for sure because surfaces are very cold. But it should be easier to deal with once temps go above freezing. 

Still lightly snowing. I have 2.9". I can't seem to crack 3. Maybe with a burst before the flip. 

Maybe you can squeeze a tenth of an inch from the light snow before it stops (or slant-stick it just a tad!).  :)

It's a very wintry scene out there. It only took me 20 minutes to shovel because it was so fluffy. I thought it was pretty cool that the needles falling dusted everything back up by the time I went inside. 

Looks like the leading edge of the next round "should" be snow. I just want to bank 3". How much did you get?

BWI had 2" at 1pm.  Can you throw a party with your $10K?  I'll clear my schedule. 

The leading edge of this next batch is NOT snow. It's sleet and freezing rain, albeit light. Down here at least. By the time it gets to DCA it may be the same. Better luck NW areas. It's a wrap. 5 inch total.

It'll change quick if not at the start. 

Compacting pretty quick.. fluff. Back below 3" here. Going to go with 3.25".

It's a very wintry scene out there. It only took me 20 minutes to shovel because it was so fluffy. I thought it was pretty cool that the needles falling dusted everything back up by the time I went inside. 

Looks like the leading edge of the next round "should" be snow. I just want to bank 3". How much did you get?

A couple tenths less than you, 2.7". That's the current snow depth. 

Archived