• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

You'd has to be pretty damn foolish if you think the nam will outperform the storm's interaction with the upstream longwave trough. This dynamic the euro will dominate. Where I believe the nam has been scoring points is on the UL height rises due to its ability to resolve mesoscale convection.

But that said, that change in H500 on the euro is pretty damn important, and one aspect where the euro is probably wayyyy ahead of the nam.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schools shouldn't make decisions until the morning.  I don't understand this absurd trend to making decisions the night before for storms--we all know how storms can bust for better or worse.  Of course, these are days when schools close because of the heat.

5 am up here, Don't know why some would call it the night before

You did ok with this Friday despite my doubts

even though this is kinda similar in that we are seeing nw shifts inside 36hr or whatever....and its a much more robust and powerful setup. I still have my doubts being so far away from the low, that precip shield will be more banded in nature with subsidence in between.

Schools shouldn't make decisions until the morning. I don't understand this absurd trend to making decisions the night before for storms--we all know how storms can bust for better or worse. Of course, these are days when schools close because of the heat.

Yup. 86.5F closed schools. Flurries close schools but 7-8" during the day doesn't (Gardner MA)

The only difference is in the initial punch tomorrow morning. 4km nam still signals halfway decent snows for a lot of folks thanks to that long fetch later tomorrow and tomorrow night. That is flying under the radar and could be the difference between pedestrian and memorable.

Ha, this place is hilarious sometime.  I'm sure we'd all be talking about "model noise" if the NAM crushed again.

Instead we've had incremental ticks west, and now we're looking like perhaps we may have hit the ceiling, and potentially even overstepped what's possible with a storm that far away.  The 18z NAM looks closer to model consensus, and the 12z NAM, which BOX says their forecast was "heavily based on" looks like the outlier.  I'm intrigued to see whether the western edge of warnings comes down at some point, as the NAM looks nowhere near as bullish.  Or maybe they'll say its model noise too, depending on the rest of guidance. 

Story of this winter with these tight gradients and late corrections. 

Archived