joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im sure the precip shield is further west. I trust the good folks on here. but im saying h5 and sfc low is identical to 12z saturday. 

The centers are similar, but the system is deepening and maturing faster...stronger h5 and sfc lows. It's able to push that deformation banding further to the NW. Scott brought up a good point about how this banding evolves over New England...do we get one strong band that pushes way NW with more unorganized banding further SE as it occludes?

Looking at the radar down south and matching it up with the 12z GFS this storms precip is well west of where the GFS has it at this hour

I don't mean to be a Debbie.  I thought this too when I first looked at the radar but upon closer examination, the GFS didn't have much QPF west of the hook in the northern border of SC.  Radar doesn't show much west of that hook or north into VA.

I don't mean to be a Debbie.  I thought this too when I first looked at the radar but upon closer examination, the GFS didn't have much QPF west of the hook in the northern border of SC.  Radar doesn't show much west of that hook or north into VA.

6hr precip totals...just compare to the 12z 6hr progs.

post-3-0-59440800-1454869342_thumb.gif

I'll be pulling an all nighter. Mostly because that's what Uncle Sam wants, but at least I'll have something to look at.

This is another one that will sneak up on folks. Was listening to the car radio a few minutes ago and heard a forecast of "maybe a few snow showers" tomorrow night and Tuesday. Obviously we're not jackpotting from this, but it looks like it'll be higher-impact than many assumed - especially along the coast.

Not to be curmudgeonly .. but,  really what's going on (as is in the snap-shot of guidance) is that we are exceptionally lucky - if impact from this is your desire...

The mid level circulations are absolutely mammoth in areal circumvallate by the time this beast gets to our latitude... so much so that the very last vestiges of the warm TROWAL has spiraled enormously/unusually far from the centroid circulation.  That also collocates spatially with two aspects that actually heighten what a TROWAL can do, even more.. 

one, the terminus of the CCB is pretty much Springfield Mass, collacated underneath the TROWAL.  The other aspect is that the high in easter Canada is imposing an unusually long fetch into the coast come tomorrow night. So you have ad hoc polar theta-e feeding into an usually elongated CCB, which is punching unusually far west under and unusually extended TROWAL. 

...the whole thing is... lucky. 

But, I tell you what, that characterization may mean less anyway, if the ticks NW continue and the 18 and 00z and so forth show more and more of a direct impact.   

Man, what a complex nightmare for operational meteorology

attachicon.gifSC1.gif

You're right, the distribution of heavier QPF is definitely NW of progs.  But the extent of the shield is only slightly west of progs, if at all.  I'll be very interested to see how this propagates up the coast.

Actually, the GFS showed heavier amounts within 25 miles or so of the NC coast than what are being reported at 18Z.

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=GFS&p=6hrqpf&rh=2016020712&fh=6&r=ma&dpdt=

Archived