joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we saw with the MA blizzard last month, the mesos, may have an advantage resolving this very deep convection and how this translates into upper level height rises along the coast.

At least GC may wind up with a light fresh ground cover after this rather than the sunny afternoon with the one last month.

I know--last year we wound up pretty close to normal, it just sucked missing out on doing really well.  This year just plain old sucks the big one.  I'll take solace that I'll be in Boston tomorrow, but being in the city for snow doesn't exactly thrill me. Snow in the streets turning into brown slush.  At least it'll look nice in the Granary graveyard.

That is a pretty spot. I always used to say a quiet hello to James Otis, Sam Adams, and Ben Franklin's parents as I walked by. Beautiful with a coat of snow, or when the magnolias bloom in April. Anyway, OT. Looks like low pressure centered SE of South Carolina at this hour and bombing the heck out. Beautiful.

...and of course, wouldn't you know it:  the stakes have to be usually high for direct verus indirect impact. 

this is a multifaceted event, rout with three aspects for calamity:

1 wind... this is achieving a pretty deep pressure, and as the cyclogen feed-backs may cause this to shift west as these MESO imply... we then have to run that deep pressure core up into this building polar high over eastern Canada ...nosing down through the area.  I noticed the synoptic charts show that squeeze play on the 12z NAM's depiction of the NW arc of the llv pressure field. If that pushes deeper into that +PP then even now, we got a wind problem into eastern section from SE NH south along the coastal plain.

2 tide... this is a New Moon event.  ...Seems these things always find a way to land on a tidal headaches.  wonder if there's any science to that..  In any event, CF watch is side-Press right now but could become much more of headline scenario if should #1 take place.  It's like the perfect combination of components for denuding beach front properties.. 

3 of course, snow... mainly, if #1 we have deformation band(s) pivoting in with big wind going on, and you have to consider headlining even more. 

The problem is, this is possibility that is only hinted at these NW shifts.  Man, that puts a big big time responsibility on the operational teams, because the margin for error is pretty darn tight here.  I'd say this Euro run is pretty hugely important.  

Wound up with perhaps 4.5" before compacting. And, it didnt' take long to compact.

I thought you did a bit better. Your area and VT out to ALB area have been so awful

Pretty bad here this season but nothing compared to yours. We also did very well (if not in blockbuster fashion) last season so this hurts less

Archived