joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, its nice that we are going to have a snowy week....appreciate what we get, etc.....but give me a break with the Feb 1969 and Jan 2011 references.

Its ok to not have a KU, but you kind of need to have heavy snow to compare this to some of the snowiest months in history.

I mean, why weren't there more Earl and 1938 comparisons?

great post...and a foot of windswept snow on the cape is nothing compared to some of the other storms they have had in the past ten to fifteen years...geez

be nice to get something like that close enough to the coast so everyone gets in on it...even a foot or so for most of sne before changeover or dryslotting and waist deep in the distant interior...id almost like to see something like that before being waist deep here by some miracle deform band from the perfect noreaster delivered by two blue eyed unicorns high fiving each other

Lots of snow coming to a lot of places this week.All the way to Eduggles..We ain't done bumping west 

Glad you're thinking of me.

CMC, GFS, and Euro consensus 4 day total for ALB through 4 days is 0.05 in. liquid.  And maybe a tenth for me.  Call it 0 and 1".  But all guidance has been way overdoing QPF to the NW of coastal lows this season.

However, there's some evidence on the mesos of a possible weak deform. band (mid-level convergence) way NW of the offshore low, running from PA up through CNY.  I'm going to watch for that on today's guidance.

Glad you're thinking of me.

CMC, GFS, and Euro consensus 4 day total for ALB through 4 days is 0.05 in. liquid. And maybe a tenth for me. Call it 0 and 1". But all guidance has been way overdoing QPF to the NW of coastal lows this season.

However, there's some evidence on the mesos of a possible weak deform. band (mid-level convergence) way NW of the offshore low, running from PA up through CNY. I'm going to watch for that on today's guidance.

I'm pulling for you. I had no clue ALB was in such a snow hold recently.

I'm pulling for you. I had no clue ALB was in such a snow hold recently.

Thanks.  I'm excited about the ocean storm.  I hope places get buried.  It's fun when people don't see it coming at all.

Around here there's bare ground up to the 2500ft Taconic ridges.  I've never seen it this bad.  It's much worse up in NNY and VT where the entire economy revolves around winter rec.  They are hurting. 

To clarify:

• There is approximately zero chance this trends into a blockbuster
  • We are looking at multiple timeframes between Monday and Thursday that could provide snow
  • The snowstorm's size will be considerably large when it gets to our latitude. It seems it could potentially provide accumulations back to about ORH and even more if it breaks correctly.
  • The first storm on Monday could provide many a moderate snowfall if it trends that way in the next day. 
  • There could be impressive localized totals in coastal eastern massachusetts with the onshore flow and coastal front expected to develop. These localized maxes could provide substantial snowfall for people Cape Ann to the Canal.
  • While the two storms are completely different, I could foresee a similar spread of snow from that event in this one
  • The storms most intense rates will likely be confined in the OES regions of the area along the coastal front
  • After the first storm passes there are several chances at snow for the entire SNE area but it remains to be seen whether or not we can formulate areas of steady snow or just off and on localized accums
  • Probably won't be able to narrow down details of this system until some point tomorrow

?  that's a pretty big gap there, ...particularly when "details" will mean all or nothing for the western side of this thing.  

Tell ya what, regardless of how this ultimately plays out, this sure is pretty on satellite. Sucker is going nuclear in the Gulf Stream. This is a Bright Boy alert. This is not a drill.

Was thinking the same thing a while ago ... going to be a spectacular satellite cinema!

As we saw with the MA blizzard last month, the mesos, may have an advantage resolving this very deep convection and how this translates into upper level height rises along the coast.

Bingo!    salient point... That exhaust will/could tend to feed-back in structurally preventing as much east bias in the deep layer track - this has been part in parcel, in addition with the total wave length (by the way) between the ridge over western NA and the trough in the OV being "too stretched"  - it could certainly verify that way as an anomaly.  Hell, ...anomalies are what this game is usually about. But, I also think that provides a sort of canvas of probability for this whole thing to wind up a bit west, too. 

The difference between last winter and this is that we might get to pull HubbDave and Whineminster into the Debbie Club too. Lol

I know--last year we wound up pretty close to normal, it just sucked missing out on doing really well.  This year just plain old sucks the big one.  I'll take solace that I'll be in Boston tomorrow, but being in the city for snow doesn't exactly thrill me. Snow in the streets turning into brown slush.  At least it'll look nice in the Granary graveyard.

I know--last year we wound up pretty close to normal, it just sucked missing out on doing really well.  This year just plain old sucks the big one.  I'll take solace that I'll be in Boston tomorrow, but being in the city for snow doesn't exactly thrill me. Snow in the streets turning into brown slush.  At least it'll look nice in the Granary graveyard.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47644-the-debra-spot/

Archived