joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was fairly significantly better. qpf wise.

Agree it definitely was better, but the ticks are slight, mostly qpf throw back at 42hrs.

3-4" (7.5-10 mm) to Boston / coastal MA, previously scraping Cape

2-3" (5-7.5 mm) to ORH, previously limited to Cape

I've been tongue-in-cheek with posts, but I do think there are hints we could tick our way to warning in Boston.

I want to see Euro flinch a little.

Jerry I think game is still on, definite momentum for a more significant event, this was the Euro flinch I was hoping to see.

I was too dismissive of Ukie.

The trough is narrower, heights are greater over the Atlantic... if these trends continue overnight I wouldn't be surprised to see watches extended north for coastal MA by kickoff time Sunday.

The shortwave riding up the east wall of the longwave trough is a tough one to achieve given how far ahead the shortwave is. But it's not impossible to get it close enough for good snow. When you have that setup, the upper air divergence is much higher on the W edge than otherwise so this has a chance to extend back some precip.

We absolutely need to see another bump west, but it won't take much.

Jerry I think game is still on, definite momentum for a more significant event, this was the Euro flinch I was hoping to see.

I was too dismissive of Ukie.

The trough is narrower, heights are greater over the Atlantic... if these trends continue overnight I wouldn't be surprised to see watches extended north for coastal MA by kickoff time Sunday.

Yeah I'm pretty optimistic for this one. Although walking the dog just now and my hood has alot more snow vs north Brookline I was thinking that snow can be a big pain in the tooches.

As things currently stand this is a perfect way to address the situation from BOX. Uncertainty is the key theme.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
444 PM EST SAT FEB 6 2016

MAZ005>007-012>017-020-RIZ001>008-072145-
CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-
SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-
SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-
SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-
WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-BRISTOL RI-WASHINGTON RI-NEWPORT RI-
BLOCK ISLAND RI-
444 PM EST SAT FEB 6 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS...
EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...NORTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...SOUTHEASTERN
MASSACHUSETTS...AND RHODE ISLAND.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

ONE OR TWO PERIODS OF ACCUMULATING SNOW ARE LIKELY MONDAY AND
TUESDAY...WITH LEFTOVER SNOW SHOWERS WEDNESDAY. HOWEVER...
UNCERTAINTY REMAINS HIGH WHETHER WE WILL BE DEALING WITH
NUISANCE LIGHT SNOW OR A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM AT THIS TIME.

IN ADDITION...THERE IS LOW RISK FOR POCKETS OF MINOR FLOODING
ALONG THE CAPE ANN COASTLINE AROUND THE TIME OF HIGH TIDE ON
MONDAY.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

To clarify:

• There is approximately zero chance this trends into a blockbuster
  • We are looking at multiple timeframes between Monday and Thursday that could provide snow
  • The snowstorm's size will be considerably large when it gets to our latitude. It seems it could potentially provide accumulations back to about ORH and even more if it breaks correctly.
  • The first storm on Monday could provide many a moderate snowfall if it trends that way in the next day. 
  • There could be impressive localized totals in coastal eastern massachusetts with the onshore flow and coastal front expected to develop. These localized maxes could provide substantial snowfall for people Cape Ann to the Canal.
  • While the two storms are completely different, I could foresee a similar spread of snow from that event in this one
  • The storms most intense rates will likely be confined in the OES regions of the area along the coastal front
  • After the first storm passes there are several chances at snow for the entire SNE area but it remains to be seen whether or not we can formulate areas of steady snow or just off and on localized accums
  • Probably won't be able to narrow down details of this system until some point tomorrow

Archived