• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

Every single analogue I've looked at resulted in a miss or glancing blow.

One thing that has bothered me is the s/w spacing, orientation of the LW trough. The trough so deep and goes negative at such a southern lat. That southern bowling ball spins up a tempest that rivals any hurricane, the trough gets stretched e/w then the L is shredded to oblivion. All the while the ridge in the W is rising. Along comes the second potent s/w which in turn results in cyclogenesis off the Mid Atlantic. With such an orientation one would think the two would phase or at least pull the departing storm north and west.

What am I missing other than brains?

The support of any guidance whatsoever at 48 hours lead.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that thing is so up in the air as to what happens. This whole setup reeks of general light snows overall from Monday to Wednesday with localized jacks much higher in mesoscale convergence bands.

What I take out of this: A potential to snow for several days early this week. Considering earlier this winter I bet people still find a way to b*tch. Saying that: far NW and NNE have reason to.

I'm not saying this is an analog because it isn't, but do you remember before the feb 7-9 event last year that tons of people were MEHing like 8-10" over 60 hours?

That had more overrunning involved and this is more pseudo decaying CCB and Ocean enhancement with east flow even into inland areas.

But there is still potential for something bigger even if it takes 60 hours. Given how pathetic the winter has been up until Friday, the possibility of 8"+ is worth following.

This could easily be 2-4"/1-3" too but lots of MEHing has me reminiscing about that event which was having trouble producing a lot of QPF in short intervals until really late.

I'm not saying this is an analog because it isn't, but do you remember before the feb 7-9 event last year that tons of people were MEHing like 8-10" over 60 hours?

That had more overrunning involved and this is more pseudo decaying CCB and Ocean enhancement with east flow even into inland areas.

But there is still potential for something bigger even if it takes 60 hours. Given how pathetic the winter has been up until Friday, the possibility of 8"+ is worth following.

This could easily be 2-4"/1-3" too but lots of MEHing has me reminiscing about that event which was having trouble producing a lot of QPF in short intervals until really late.

And that event Shockingly, maybe More forgotten already than any storm of my lifetime, shockingly dropped 24" on Boston.

FWIW Burbank on WBZ just said 3" for Boston, up to 6" do points SE. Not sure if that was for just Monday. He seems underwhelmed for the entire 3 days.

He's underwhelming compared to our boy Harvey. 

Could be a snowy week coming up..may b snowing more often than not, although amts. uncertain #wcvb

Heaviest snow threat this week appears to be Mon...but some snow is possible each day thru Thu #wcvb

not likely

I think he's referring to last year, when we got around 2 ft on those dates, but not as a raging blizzard. I think he's right; it's already receded somewhat in my memory. I just remember Weymouth and Blue Hills cracking thirty. Anyway, downplaying anything major on this one for now, but looking forward to a prolonged wintry appeal. Seems like the seasonal trend has been to shift northwest at the eleventh hour; we'll see soon enough if that continues to be the case. 

Archived