joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The AnaFront/Coastal Storm Disco 02/05/16

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, window is open here at the office, with birds just chirping to their little hearts content.

It angers me.....little fu*kers won't be at it tmw-

actually ...that may not be the case.  you may hear them either way.

i've noticed this year to year (indulge the OT for a moment...) that birds tend to chirp suddenly around the first of Feb, and. ..they do so even during snow storms.  last year during some of those Feb blitzes i heard birds outside my window as the dark of night succumbed to the first light of the mornings. it evoked thoughts and sentiments of april as i climbed out of slumber, thinking also the storm supposedly in hand must had missed.  only to see white out when peering out the window.  ..weird...

i think it is species dependent - tru -but also, i think they trigger based around the solar rad returning.  that's my hunch. light earlier means start arguing about who gets spring-lade.

you would be surprised when phone alerts go off the attitude change. I know it's hard for people not involved in large tourist industry to understand. I think a 18 hr warning is about right. I know the politics of local office verification too. Doesn't make a damn difference to me. I have shut the place down on OKX advisory and kept it open on warning but I am not the GP

Typically the window is 12-24 hours. But it's also based on 80% confidence. I don't think the confidence level of warning criteria snow is quite that high, especially that far west.

Tons of employers base their decisions based on nws warnings. I know people who work in travel programs for major companies who get alerts and decisions based on nws warnings/advisories.

I know lots of people saw the 1-3 non accumulating on road surfaces this morning and said meh and went and scheduled travel etc. I am sure once that alert hits their phone they will be like wut? 

Watches expanding.

1145 AM EST THU FEB 4 2016

...SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL POSSIBLE ACROSS PARTS OF SOUTHERN

NEW ENGLAND LATE TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY...

CTZ004-MAZ012-013-015-016-RIZ001-003-050045-

/O.EXA.KBOX.WS.A.0002.160205T0600Z-160205T2000Z/

WINDHAM CT-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SUFFOLK MA-

EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...MILFORD...

WORCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...BOSTON...QUINCY...FOSTER...

SMITHFIELD...WEST GREENWICH

1145 AM EST THU FEB 4 2016

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY

AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY

AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST CONNECTICUT...NORTHWEST RHODE ISLAND AND

PARTS OF SOUTH CENTRAL AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POSSIBLE SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 7 INCHES.

Man, window is open here at the office, with birds just chirping to their little hearts content.

It angers me.....little fu*kers won't be at it tmw-

Yeah, last February at this time birds were dropping dead of starvation and squirrels were chewing through my garbage cans in search of scraps. What a difference a year makes.

I take it you don't?

oh, i'm hoping ... 

i see some possibility of our dreams coming true wrt that; just was wondering what the consensus opinion ... derived from lucid objective reasoning sans any personal sense of Schadenfreude ... thinks about the possibility of it snowing 0 at his front porch and about 2 inches at the end of his street, and a foot the next town over. 

oh, i'm hoping ... 

i see some possibility of our dreams coming true wrt that; just was wondering what the consensus opinion ... derived from lucid objective reasoning sans any personal sense of Schadenfreude ... thinks about the possibility of it snowing 0 at his front porch and about 2 inches at the end of his street, and a foot the next town over. 

As long as the foot the next town over verifies.

Archived