• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Super Bowl During AFC Championship? 1/23-1/24, Part II

CapturedNature

Not surprisingly, the more confluence exerts itself and the tighter the gradient, the more prodigious that frontogenic band becomes. Dismiss it as inaccurate, but the NAM sure has been precise for at least the past day.

Wonder if we'll see expansion of blizzard warnings to south coast areas tomorrow.

I can't see H5 on the 4k Nam but the QPF distribution looks like eastern SNE benefits from a last minute little CCB perhaps a lobe of vorticity slings up (ie. rather than northward progression of the C-PA / NYC / LI death band).

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm generally not worried about virga imby or deeper into the south shore with that NE flow moistening the lower levels, like ORH will said. A couple inches of sand at least preserves the look of winter with under 10 inches of snow in late jan...

The dry air is above that...like 850 and up. The saturated low levels will help, but the dry air aloft is there.

But the banding is my concern. I just don't like being on the north side of it. However, part of me is concerned 700-500 frontogenesis produces a band further NW then I think. I've seen it so many times. On the other hand, that is a low chance IMO..at least into BOS.

Also looks to have some weenie OES enhancement for the south shore. By far the best rgem run so far for a lot of places.

Yeah that is easily the best run...it gets the main initial fronto band up into the pike region even....though it is weakened by that point, but still enough to probably give some accumulations.

The dry air is above that...like 850 and up. The saturated low levels will help, but the dry air aloft is there.

But the banding is my concern. I just don't like being on the north side of it. However, part of me is concerned 700-500 frontogenesis produces a band further NW then I think. I've seen it so many times. On the other hand, that is a low chance IMO..at least into BOS.

I hear you there. The more ferocious that band is, the worse the gradient is to the north of it. Didn't Jan 1996 go from 30" in Great Barrington to nothing in Albany? PDII also went from I think 22" in Scranton, PA to 1" in Binghamton. We all know about how 2/6/10 turned out between NYC and PHL. And Miller B's are supposed to have sharp cutoffs...

Expectations are really really low, I'll be happy with any accumulation. There could definitely be a band NW and crap snizzle over us, but more often than not it'll setup up favorably for us and over the usual CJ spots.

Yeah you can see it on the 00z soundings. 850 to about 650 mb.

Archived