• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

There are basically 2 parts to the storm if it gets captured. A front side thump from warm air advection precip while the low is SW of us. The cold conveyor/deform as the low passes our latitude to the east of us would be much larger, more intense, and slower to move if the low is captured.

With that being said, even a progressive solution would be a very significant storm. It's going to have a ton of moisture going along for the ride.

Thank you Bob.  Appreciate the info.  I get it.  Just wish it would screw with Boston a bit.   :lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd argue the 0z and 6z GFS aren't all that different -- just some small differences in 5H orientation around the capture 

I agree. The main difference I saw was h5 doesn't close off until overhead and isn't as robust when it does (single contour) so everything is a little quicker on the way out. It's most likely just a typical noise wobble. We'll see some every day and all freak out over nothing. 

Would a good analog of a more progressive storm with a lot of moisture but not a full capture be the February 12-13, 2014 storm?  I believe we got an inch or two in DC with the CCB on the back end.  

Feb 14 was disjointed. Surface low was long gone and occluding north of us while the ULL was down in SW VA. This setup is much more in step with the surface/midlevels/upper levels. It's a 2 part storm but there is no intermission. lol

who wants a triple when you can get the Grand Slam. We are at the point of no return. a 10-15 inch storm would be highly dissapointing

Something tells me if you get 14 inches you won't be crying. Even in the best most robust events someone gets "screwed". So the climo sites all record 24+ but someone's house for variable reasons including subsidence shadows gets 13. Good luck...hoping for a widespread 30 for all of you!

who wants a triple when you can get the Grand Slam. We are at the point of no return. a 10-15 inch storm would be highly dissapointing

God model > American contraption

Get some sleep my friend.

I'm on a ski vacation in Colorado and I have been on this forum several hours per day studying, reading and posting. Don't you dare call me a troll. Careful analysis requires you fine comb through the data without emotion. I have been a met for 16 years...no longer at LWX. I now brief the agency director at headquarters.

i think the gfs was the first to catch this storm, so it's probably not a good idea to discard a run, though also probably not a good idea to get too invested in one run either.  we'll see what the 12z's have.

also, colorado is awesome.

The precip maxes have been jumping around on the variousweather models and DC has been averaging 1.8-2.5 " QPF. Pretty impressive no matter how you slice it

06z GFS para looks ok.  1.5" qpf for DC through 12z Sat.  Surface low is basically stalled while the 500 catches up, but at 12z the bulk of the precip is in southern PA. 

edit - just refreshed.  Still end up around 2" QPF near DC, more to the north

06z GFS Para is amazing... starts snowing around hr 80 and doesn't end until hr 120. Temps are close but they look better than the OP - we never mix. I don't have snow maps but looks like it would be more than the 06z GFS but not sure.

The consistency between the two is promising to me.

There are basically 2 parts to the storm if it gets captured. A front side thump from warm air advection precip while the low is SW of us. The cold conveyor/deform as the low passes our latitude to the east of us would be much larger, more intense, and slower to move if the low is captured.

With that being said, even a progressive solution would be a very significant storm. It's going to have a ton of moisture going along for the ride.

it's funny...most storms i remember either had one or the other.  great thump or we get our rates once the ULL or coastal forms.  in the real big ones we do well with both, even if we get mix-y, dry slot-y in the middle for a period.  so i guess where that deform band forms is going to be the key difference with this one.

Archived