• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

These are 4-7 day outlooks. Similar to SPC outlooks. They are not intended to be specific. Details are relayed within day 3.  

There should be no map for 4-7 days out.  Everyone knows how fast a forecast can change... especially 7 days out.  I can only see getting egg on the face.  But this is just my opinion.  I will not talk about it again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So as of now, the only model not to have the H5 capture is the 06z GFS, correct? And it still shows 20" of snow. All of the other models have the capture and thus the 30" totals begin to appear. Is this right and is there reason to not believe the 06z GFS of not completing the capture?

There should be no map for 4-7 days out.  Everyone knows how fast a forecast can change... especially 7 days out.  I can only see getting egg on the face.  But this is just my opinion.  I will not talk about it again.

There actually can be high confidence in the LR at times. Anyway, send them feedback if you want. These graphics are still experimental. 

So as of now, the only model not to have the H5 capture is the 06z GFS, correct? And it still shows 20" of snow. All of the other models have the capture and thus the 30" totals begin to appear. Is this right and is there reason to not believe the 06z GFS of not completing the capture?

Was wondering the same thing.  I am not great at reading h5 vort maps but have become better over the years....comparing 00z and 6z gfs, my amateur eyes can't pick out a difference that kept the 06z from closing off?

Para is mostly lock step with the op. A little different with qpf maxes. EZF is in a 30" bubble and nw va is detroyed just like the op.

Baltimore and NE is under 20" but it's surely noise vs anything meaningfully different. Long duration event for sure.

Thanks Bob, is the beltway in that 30" bubble?

Even if we dont get the capture we will still get burried by the front end thump. It will just move off faster. There is a massive amount of moisture to play with here. I feel like you have to be pretty confident that we all are going to get hammered this weekend. I dont think its going to be the crazy 3-4 foot numbers the Euro is pushing. But we are getting crushed. The only way I see it not happening is suppression at this point. And that looks less and less likely with each model run.

Even if we dont get the capture we will still get burried by the front end thump. It will just move off faster. There is a massive amount of moisture to play with here. I feel like you have to be pretty confident that we all are going to get hammered this weekend. I dont think its going to be the crazy 3-4 foot numbers the Euro is pushing. But we are getting crushed. The only way I see it not happening is suppression at this point. And that looks less and less likely with each model run.

There is so much uniformity, in the models, I keep waiting for one to jump ship and sail off to Bermuda or to the Midwest, leaving us to argue about whether it will happen at all.  It's all too perfect right now, we're just discussing whether cold temperatures or sun angle or whatever will give us 2 feet or 3, which is insane. 

I don't like the trend of the 06z GFS. Hope it's a blip on the screen

Archived