joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if NOAA will send a special mission into the Pacific disturbance today to get some data. I know they did it in the past.

They shouldn't since WSR is no longer an official program.  There is a summary article on targeted observations for this type of event and fits with the narrative that I have been trying to portray regarding the discussion of "sampling of features", see here:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/MWR-D-12-00309.1

From the abstract:  "Forecast impacts were generally neutral and thus smaller than reported in previous studies, most from over a decade ago, perhaps because of the improved forecast and assimilation system and the somewhat denser observation network."

These types of observations have much less of an impact as they did 10-15 years ago due to significant advancements in the modeling, data assimilation, and global observing network.

LWX dis from 6am

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
THE THREAT FOR A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CONTINUES FOR THE MID-
ATLANTIC REGION FRIDAY-SATURDAY NIGHT.

MODEL GUIDANCE IS IN AGREEMENT THAT AN INTENSIFYING SFC LOW WILL BE
IN THE VICINITY OF CAPE HATTERAS SATURDAY MORNING. THE DETERMINISTIC
GFS AND EURO ARE IN AGREEMENT PLACING THE SFC LOW JUST NORTH OF
THE CAPE...HOWEVER THE EURO IS ABOUT 6 HRS SLOWER. EITHER WAY...A
SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS PROGGED TO REACH THE MID- ATLANTIC
WITH SNOW SPREADING NORTHWARD FRIDAY. AT THIS TIME...MODEL
GUIDANCE HAS TEMPERATURES ABOVE FREEZING IN VICINITY OF I-95 AND
EAST. THIS WOULD CAUSE LOWER SNOWFALL RATIOS AND THEREFORE LESSER
AMTS. THIS MAY LEAD TO A RAIN-SNOW LINE AS WELL. THESE DETAILS
WILL TAKE TIME TO IRON OUT AS WE ARE STILL 4 DAYS AWAY. CONFIDENCE
IS HIGHER FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ALONG AND WEST OF THE BLUE
RIDGE THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO FORECASTS FOR UPDATES THIS WEEK ABOUT THIS
WINTER STORM.

SUNDAY AND MONDAY: HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO THE AREA BEHIND THE
DEPARTING LOW SUNDAY. SEASONABLY CHILLY CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED. A
WEAK COLD FRONT MAY MOVE THROUGH THE AREA MONDAY...BUT THERE WILL BE
LITTLE MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

I find these to be worthless... What happens if the northern half east of the Blueridge  get a foot and the southern half gets nothing.  They cannot split this map up.  It just show, hey watch out with no substance.

um... its just a threat level map? it's not meant to have any other information on it other than "we are confident there is a threat coming"

so...not sure what you were expecting from it? 

um... its just a threat level map? it's not meant to have any other information on it other than "we are confident there is a threat coming"

so...not sure what you were expecting from it? 

Threat of what... it does not say.  LWX could just put a banner on the home page does more... or do what other regions do, and just post an image on the home page.  Should not have to go hunt and peck for a vague map.  Just my opinion.

Threat of what... it does not say.  LWX could just put a banner on the home page does more... or do what other regions do, and just post an image on the home page.  Should not have to go hunt and peck for a vague map.  Just my opinion.

for starters, i clipped the image from their site, so the header is off.

But, if you really must know, since it really seems to be grinding your gears

Here is the entire WINTER STORM THREAT page for you to nitpick over.

http://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter#wsoutlook

To follow-up, I get annoyed when people lambaste NWS/LWX for trying to find ways to impart more information. In this case, often, people want to know how confident forecasters are in a looming system and what potential impacts might be. It appears this a product where they are trying to find a way to quantify that a bit. I would imagine this would be especially helpful to state, county, and local officials and those who plow, work in essential services jobs, hospitals,  etc.

I find these to be worthless... What happens if the northern half east of the Blueridge  get a foot and the southern half gets nothing.  They cannot split this map up.  It just show, hey watch out with no substance.

These are 4-7 day outlooks. Similar to SPC outlooks. They are not intended to be specific. Details are relayed within day 3.  

Folks, this back and forth about LWX stuff is old and derails disco way too often. If you don't like their products then don't look at them. Posting them is on topic.

thanks, bob. just trying to post relevant images for the hundreds of guests viewing this thread looking for information. 

Hearing the 0Z Para Euro looks like the EPS.

Para is mostly lock step with the op. A little different with qpf maxes. EZF is in a 30" bubble and nw va is detroyed just like the op.

Baltimore and NE is under 20" but it's surely noise vs anything meaningfully different. Long duration event for sure.

Archived