joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming onshore now: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/WCIR.JPG

Should resolve sampling concerns...

The whole "sampling" thing is overblown. Plenty of accurate data is available from satellites/ships/planes. I can't remember the last time that guidance had a wholesale change once a shortwave is over land. It's usually a last resort type of hope when things look bleak. 

The whole "sampling" thing is overblown. Plenty of accurate data is available from satellites/ships/planes. I can't remember the last time that guidance had a wholesale change once a shortwave is over land. It's usually a last resort type of hope when things look bleak. 

12/26/10.  Famously.

Thats a fair point, but IMO small sample areas play a big role when you live on the NW gradient....hence why some may have interest in finer details as we approach T-72 hrs.  Love your reads btw...great stuff.  Just an observation.

Nut

Yes. Was just looking for clarification from ers.

Classic setup needs a capture. Not sure if it picked up on the timing of the pacific energy or something else being off. Hope it's just a blip on the screen. Going from a captured slow moving system to a more progressive one is not good.

LOL..yes...i have never seen us go from flurries to 9 inches as soon as the piece of energy hit oregon:)

I think you're trolling everyone at this point. You've said stuff like this about other runs too.

I'm on a ski vacation in Colorado and I have been on this forum several hours per day studying, reading and posting. Don't you dare call me a troll. Careful analysis requires you fine comb through the data without emotion. I have been a met for 16 years...no longer at LWX. I now brief the agency director at headquarters.

Classic setup needs a capture. Not sure if it picked up on the timing of the pacific energy or something else being off. Hope it's just a blip on the screen. Going from a captured slow moving system to a more progressive one is not good

Though I believe it's a blip, lets say for giggles it remains progressive. Still means a very healthy storm for our area just with lesser amounts?  Is it just that the low would slide further out to sea than up the coast?  

I'm on a ski vacation in Colorado and I have been on this forum several hours per day studying, reading and posting. Don't you dare call me a troll. Careful analysis requires you fine comb through the data without emotion. I have been a met for 16 years...no longer at LWX. I now brief the agency director at headquarters.

Enjoy your vacation and ignore him. I have the same questions as Scraff if you can be so kind as to answer.

Though I believe it's a blip, lets say for giggles it remains progressive. Still means a very healthy storm for our area just with lesser amounts? Is it just that the low would slide further out to sea than up the coast?

There are basically 2 parts to the storm if it gets captured. A front side thump from warm air advection precip while the low is SW of us. The cold conveyor/deform as the low passes our latitude to the east of us would be much larger, more intense, and slower to move if the low is captured.

With that being said, even a progressive solution would be a very significant storm. It's going to have a ton of moisture going along for the ride.

LWX has "Snow may be heavy at times" in their ZPF's Friday night already... nice

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
932 AM EST TUE JAN 19 2016

DCZ001-VAZ054-191800-
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...ARLINGTON...ALEXANDRIA
932 AM EST TUE JAN 19 2016

.REST OF TODAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS
15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS AROUND 17. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO
15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.
.WEDNESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY
WITH SCATTERED FLURRIES IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.
NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHWEST IN THE
AFTERNOON.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S.
SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.THURSDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO
10 MPH.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.
.FRIDAY...SNOW OR RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...SNOW. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. LOWS IN THE
UPPER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY...RAIN OR SNOW LIKELY. BRISK WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S.
CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW.
LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

There are basically 2 parts to the storm if it gets captured. A front side thump from warm air advection precip while the low is SW of us. The cold conveyor/deform as the low passes our latitude to the east of us would be much larger, more intense, and slower to move if the low is captured.

With that being said, even a progressive solution would be a very significant storm. It's going to have a ton of moisture going along for the ride.

Would a good analog of a more progressive storm with a lot of moisture but not a full capture be the February 12-13, 2014 storm?  I believe we got an inch or two in DC with the CCB on the back end.  

Ok who's got a bed for an old man? Kidding since I need to be here through Friday which would make it too late.

VA/MD looks to have one of the all timers but we have to see how 12Z trends. We've been discussing in our forum and. 96 has been the best analog? Will also mentioned '83 in terms of how it could play out.

I'd argue the 0z and 6z GFS aren't all that different -- just some small differences in 5H orientation around the capture 

Archived