CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post-storm depression has set in. Always happens to me...Right after a major storm. You spend 5-6 days straight checking model runs 4x a day. Highs, lows. Then the storm comes and you haven't slept more than 3 hours a night for 3 straight days. Storm ends and you're already tracking the next one....Thank god it isn't late March or I'd be hospitalized. I'm a sick pup 

Post-storm depression has set in. Always happens to me...Right after a major storm. You spend 5-6 days straight checking model runs 4x a day. Highs, lows. Then the storm comes and you haven't slept more than 3 hours a night for 3 straight days. Storm ends and you're already tracking the next one....Thank god it isn't late March or I'd be hospitalized. I'm a sick pup 

Ha! Same here. Yesterday felt like when I was a kid, the day after Christmas. 

Im actually glad that storm for friday is trending in the wrong direction. I'm good with waiting till next week lol

Probably a good number of people agree with you, but if i could script out DJF i'd never put more than a day or two between events (and none would be rain of course).  Most could be penny and nickel stuff, but its nice to keep the pack fresh and white and flakes in the air. 

That's what made the last 2 winters exceptional. You got your snow and was able to hold it for a week or more until the next opportunity came. I have already lost 10" from my storm and it's January no less   :(

Yea I definitely second that!  It's like you do not want it to ever stop snowing, but obviously it gets exhausting after a while.  However, its all worth it since we got slammed.... Worse thing is when we track and track, then get screwed.

Time for LA NINA thread .

All that warm water from the Tropical Atlantic north to off the East Coast may be signaling a more active

Atlantic Hurricane season for ACE than the last few. I am curious to see how long the +PDO hangs on

since the sig is still pretty strong on that chart that you posted.

These 20"+ events are all starting to blend together since there have been so many of them since 2000.

In the past, we were lucky to see 1 or 2 events a decade with maxes of 20" or more.

LI/SCT/SE NY/NNJ 20" max storms since 2000:

2/17/03

2/5-7/03

1/22-23/05 close at 19.5" max

2/11/06

12/19-12/20/09

2/26-27/10

12/26-27/10

1/11-1/12/11

1/26-1/27/11

2/8-2/9/13

1/26/15

1/23/16

Not sure if the 2/5-7/03 storm hit NYC, but it's interesting that the "Weekend Rule" applies to about 80% of the big ones that hit NYC on your list. I know a couple of 2011 storms prevented it from being a 100% phenomenon.. (Blizzard of 96, 83 also occurred on a weekend).. Since I haven't seen anyone bring it up recently, I thought I'd chime in here!

-Jason

Not sure if the 2/5-7/03 storm hit NYC, but it's interesting that the "Weekend Rule" applies to about 80% of the big ones that hit NYC on your list. I know a couple of 2011 storms prevented it from being a 100% phenomenon.. (Blizzard of 96, 83 also occurred on a weekend).. Since I haven't seen anyone bring it up recently, I thought I'd chime in here!

-Jason

That should be 12/03. It was Friday and Saturday 2 part storm

With a +PDO. We have to watch and see if the atmosphere still behaves like an El Niño next winter. We all know about 95-96 turned out.

More than likely we go into a -PDO regime, even Joe Bastardi said he thinks the Pacific goes back to -PDO. Also, looking more and more likely we see a plunge into a moderate to strong La Niña starting in the spring. The Nina's that followed the super Ninos in the past have actually been quite strong, but not much of a sample size though so we have to see.

More than likely we go into a -PDO regime, even Joe Bastardi said he thinks the Pacific goes back to -PDO. Also, looking more and more likely we see a plunge into a moderate to strong La Niña starting in the spring. The Nina's that followed the super Ninos in the past have actually been quite strong, but not much of a sample size though so we have to see.

Hopefully from here out to California gets a surplus of rain to store up before that happens. The last strong Nina to happen here gave Texas a record drought, and started CA towards drought.

That would really help ramp up the hurricane season although there might be a Nino lag. I'm thinking 2017 is when the Atlantic roars back to life.

10-11 was a strong nina after the strong nino of 09-10.  Lucky for us, we got that epic 30-35 day pattern in 10-11

While the sample size is small, developing La Ninas with a strong +PDO still hanging

on into June were weak with a +PDO. 

The only three years since 1950 were 2005-2006...1995-1996...1983-1984.

So it will be interesting to see if the models are correct about the strong +PDO

signature hanging on into the summer.

Archived