• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

I know that you live in a relatively suburban area of Queens. That's primarily because you're close to the water and North of the Cross Island Parkway. That's not really representative of most of Manhattan, the Bronx and the rest of Queens. I mean that's like saying that Central Park is representative of the rest of NYC.

You have the wrong perception of Queens. A lot of Queens is suburban.

Whitestone, North Flushing, Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Little Neck, Douglaston, Forest Hills and Floral Park, amongst others.

You're thinking only of western Queens like Astoria, Corona, Jackson Heights., etc, which is more like the cement factory of Brooklyn. Bronx is very suburban as well, once past the south part.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whitestone, North Flushing, Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Little Neck, Douglaston, Forest Hills and Floral Park, amongst others.

You're thinking only of western Queens like Astoria, Corona, Jackson Heights., etc, which is more like the cement factory of Brooklyn. Bronx is very suburban as well, once past the south part.

Sorry but forest hills isn't suburban. More of queens is not suburban than the parts that are.

We have different perceptions of what suburban means. Jersey City might be considered a suburb of New York City but it's still a densely populated urban area.

I do not know anyone who has considered Jersey City suburban. 

The Garden State Parkway in many aspects is the dividing line between what I would consider the immediate suburbs of NYC and the interior suburbs. The interior suburbs stretch back to the intersection of 287 and Rt. 80 in Parsippany. I consider where I live to be right on the line. It's a great location because if you go ten miles Northwest you're in the woods and if you go ten miles Southeast you're in Clifton.

Newark is a large enough city that it has it's own Suburbs. The population difference between Newark and Cincinnati is less than 50,000.  

Back to December deviations?

The next 8 days(and maybe two more) figuring  to be about +10degs. above normal.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

NB:  In addition I want to correct myself about a post I made yesterday regarding how warm Feb. must be to set a new winter (DJF) record.  The correct amount is +5.7degs., not +2.7, assuming again Jan. is about +2 and Dec. we already know is +13.3.   We need a total of 21 surplus degrees over the 3 months, not 18 (41.5-34.5) or 7degs/mo.. X  3 months =21.     (21.0-15.3)  or 5.7degs.

This is the official list of cities in NJ that are considered Urban :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:New_Jersey_Urban_Enterprise_Zones

You can't go by that necessarily because that designated zone set up by the state just helps economically depressed areas with less sales taxes.  Vineland for example does have an urban center but is not just urban.  It is also known for their pristine farmland. 

If I could use one word to sum up the next 10 days or so weather wise around here it would be meh. The only possibly bright spot would be a chance at some heavy rain with the cutter next Wednesday but the low tracks so far West that we don't get into any of the WAA precip.

That's ok with me. Got one huge storm already, and most mets are expecting cold and snow to return in second week of February. I'm willing to wait of it means more fun for the last month or 6 weeks of winter.

I'm still not sold on February over performing.

It's possible you are correct. Even so, I'll take one historic blizzard and above average temps the rest of the winter over the garbage (both temps and mainly minor snow) we got last year. And that's knowing that we "over-performed" as far as snow totals go last year.

It's possible you are correct. Even so, I'll take one historic blizzard and above average temps the rest of the winter over the garbage (both temps and mainly minor snow) we got last year. And that's knowing that we "over-performed" as far as snow totals go last year.

Yeah, last year we nickel and dime'd our way to 35" or so around here. I think the biggest storm was 9 inches. It was an okay Winter if you love consistent snow and snow cover, or extreme cold, otherwise it wasn't that good.

Yeah, last year we nickel and dime'd our way to 35" or so around here. I think the biggest storm was 9 inches. It was an okay Winter if you love consistent snow and snow cover, or extreme cold, otherwise it wasn't that good.

Yep. And we'll see what February has in store for us. Starting with the second week, people are saying things could get interesting again. That doesn't guarantee anything, of course, but I guess it puts us in the game. While I'd like more snow, with the blizzard already in the belt (so to speak), I'll take what we can get rest of Winter. Maybe that's nothing; maybe it's a lot. Guess time will tell. (I am nowhere near intelligent enough on this topic to even guess what will happen.)

Yep. And we'll see what February has in store for us. Starting with the second week, people are saying things could get interesting again. That doesn't guarantee anything, of course, but I guess it puts us in the game. While I'd like more snow, with the blizzard already in the belt (so to speak), I'll take what we can get rest of Winter. Maybe that's nothing; maybe it's a lot. Guess time will tell. (I am nowhere near intelligent enough on this topic to even guess what will happen.)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if this month didn't do much. Maybe one more 7 inch storm or something and I'd be fine. February is always interesting to watch since it's supposed to be our snowiest month, and usually has some of the bigger storms.

I wonder how many times in history this area had normal to above normal snowfall with just two storms.

With the early to mid Feb pattern looking interesting, I think it's pretty likely.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I think we have 2 more 6+ storms to go. One might be another biggy. I still fully expect a heart break at the coast inland love storm as well. Kind of storm where it pours at 35 in the city but up in the hills 20 mills Nw it rips a blue bomb

April 97 comes to mind

Actually 54 inches was our total last year

Archived