• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Yeah, last year we nickel and dime'd our way to 35" or so around here. I think the biggest storm was 9 inches. It was an okay Winter if you love consistent snow and snow cover, or extreme cold, otherwise it wasn't that good.

What? lol.. Last year was a very good year all around if you are a winter lover. Long lasting snowpack, Above average snows, cold frigid temps.  You had way more than 35". Prob closer to 55-60". Go check out Toms (Isotherm) website.. He has an excellent website for NJ snowfall dating back a good 15 years.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? lol.. Last year was a very good year all around if you are a winter lover. Long lasting snowpack, Above average snows, cold frigid temps. You had way more than 35". Prob closer to 55-60". Go check out Toms (Isotherm) website.. He has an excellent website for NJ snowfall dating back a good 15 years.

Ehh, yeah well I don't like winter that much lol. If cold and snowpack were your thing then I guess it was great. I added up my totals and I got 45" here. Half asleep, so it's probably off a little.

What? lol.. Last year was a very good year all around if you are a winter lover. Long lasting snowpack, Above average snows, cold frigid temps. You had way more than 35". Prob closer to 55-60". Go check out Toms (Isotherm) website.. He has an excellent website for NJ snowfall dating back a good 15 years.

Yea he's from my town and my totals were 54 inches with snowpack lasting from late January all the way into mid March

Here is toms website

http://www.lightinthestorm.com/nj-snowfall

Last year could have been that much better if we hadn't tossed seven potentially good weeks at the beginning. I had 10" the day before Thanksgiving and then nothing until the third week of January.

That's why NYC still hasn't been able to challenge the 95-96 snowfall season with all the record snowfall of the 2000's.

Even with all the historic snowfall of 2000's so far, it's very difficult to get wall to wall snowfall from late November

through March. But the 30 to 60 day snowfall streaks have been off the charts. 

That's why NYC still hasn't been able to challenge the 95-96 snowfall season with all the record snowfall of the 2000's.

Even with all the historic snowfall of 2000's so far, it's very difficult to get wall to wall snowfall from late November

Good Point. During the 2013/2014 Winter, NYC had 57 inches by mid February. That's a fantastic pace for snowfall in NYC. Barely an inch of snow fell after mid February though. Many thought we were going to break the seasonal record...no dice.

Good Point. During the 2013/2014 Winter, NYC had 57 inches by mid February. That's a fantastic pace for snowfall in NYC. Barely an inch of snow fell after mid February though. Many thought we were going to break the seasonal record...no dice.

Yup two years in a row that we also tossed the end of met winter.  Just once before I move away from here I'd like to see a wall to wall winter.

Yea he's from my town and my totals were 54 inches with snowpack lasting from late January all the way into mid March

Here is toms website http://www.lightinthestorm.com/nj-snowfall

Those are nice maps. I probably measured less because I can't record every event, especially since some happened while I wasn't even home.

Or maybe we have some kind of a micro climate going on :tomato:

We have been seeing plenty of extreme snows focused over 30 to 60 day periods in the 2000's. Even 09-10 had a long

gap in snowfall between the later December storm and  amazing February run before the warmth cut things off in March.

And then we had the extreme front-loaded 03-04, middle- loaded 10-11, and back-loaded 14-15. This year so far has

some similarity with 05-06 in that an historic blizzard followed record to historic warmth which coexisted in the same

DJF period. I guess a fantasy year would be putting all the best runs together in a make believe single season. :D

Actually 54 inches was our total last year

How much at your place in this last storm?

95-96 was remarkable for giving NYC double-digit snowfall in all 4 months DJFM, I think the only time that's happened.  However, the white stuff came in bursts with snow droughts (and often major thaws) in between.  In general, the first 2-3 weeks of those months were snowy and the ends snowless, except for the late 4" dump in March.

Your hero Bastardi said the North Pacific is flipping to -PDO this year, not me. He's been touting that idea since 2015

Did you ever grade your Jan forecast ?  How are we looking for Feb ?

AN temps  ? NO SNOW ?

I am curious ... 

you can lay into long range guesses all you want but you missed the biggest storm of the season within 48 hours

:lol:

Are you seriously insane ? 

8 days out I posted that there was the potential for a BLIZZARD . Don`t make me pull out your posts 6 days and 8 days out while we said the GEM was a crusher , you said , take a pic OTS , progressive .  LOL 

2 days out I was 10 plus KNYC when the EPS HAD.6 at the park 

and was 20 in CNJ

2 days out - you said  " what if we get 15 " ? 

I did not post a lot here prior to the BLIZZARD I was busy away .

Saying Ignore the 30 inches on the  NAM but buy the 10 -20 on the GEFS/UKMET 2 days out  was a miss ?

Dude , I know I have kicked your a$$ in here over and over again . I know it sucks .I am sorry but you need to sharpen your game with me .

Like I said you have these guys fooled not me .

:lol:

Are you seriously insane ? 

8 days out I posted that there was the potential for a BLIZZARD . Don`t make me pull out your posts 6 days and 8 days out while we said the GEM was a crusher , you said , take a pic OTS , progressive .  LOL 

2 days out I was 10 plus KNYC when the EPS HAD.6 at the park 

and was 20 in CNJ

2 days out - you said  " what if we get 15 " ? 

I did not post a lot here prior to the BLIZZARD I was busy away .

Saying Ignore the 30 inches on the  NAM but buy the 10 -20 on the GEFS/UKMET 2 days out  was a miss ?

Dude , I know I have kicked your a$$ in here over and over again . I know it sucks .I am sorry but you need to sharpen your game with me .

Like I said you have these guys fooled not me .

you spit out model numbers while telling people to ignore the best performing model. all while never giving any meteorological reasoning 

you spit out model numbers while telling people to ignore the best performing model. all while never giving any meteorological reasoning 

Mike , I really think you`re sick .

I ignored the best skill score model 2 days out  that was only showing  .6 and said follow the number 2 UKIE and 3 GEFS 

both were 1 inch KNYC  2 in CNJ .

2 DAYS OUT 

I use the RGEM inside 36 hours and ignore the NAM because of its DECADE over over inflating QPF .

The EPS mean 3 days out at KNYC was 12 then scaled it back to 8 . The NAM had no support .  Every model was jumping the SLP to the convection so after seeing it for 5 days many did not think it was CF .

We all saw that there were wasn`t a - 5 SD NAO blocking this like FEB 10 , that`s why 10 - 20 2 days out was still a bigger call than most .

6 DAYS OUT , I said a blizzard was on the table , you said OTS .

Almost all my posts were done away the 4 days  prior . 

Did you ever grade your Jan forecast ? How are we looking for Feb ?

AN temps ? NO SNOW ?

I am curious ...

My forecast has done very well. We are above normal in temps and there was an extreme luck storm that threaded the needle with perfect timing. January will be above normal in temps. As for February, more of the same, above normal month, there will be a transient cold shot week 2 followed by a big warmup again. Think roller coaster, no sustained arctic outbreaks. Also, minus another luck storm, snowfall will be below normal for February. El Ninos make winters so easy to forecast. It's a beautiful, wonderful thing

Archived