• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

I disagree, its not scaring people its public safety. Prudence and past experience says worst timing high impact as mideled anyways

I know what you mean...but I wouldn't cause the whole state to take a half day either. If people have evening plans, may be worth thinking about different alternatives.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't always hold true for the hi-res stuff, but this is one situation where they can score some points. The really potent shortwave with dynamic development can lead the global suite astray sometimes.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the RGEM or NAM came close to the end result, even though this event was towards the end of their ranges.

I agree.

What makes the potential dangerous, is that you may get a quick inch or two in 1 hour...so those rates will accumulate on the roads even at 32-33F and then 90 minutes later you are 27F and falling. That flash freeze scenario is the worst possible for the roads.

Almost nobody will be prepared for that if it happens tomorrow.

Half inch snow-covering flash frozen ice is absolutely most dangerous winter driving condition because can't appreciate the ice under the snow.

Had a fender bender on that a few years ago. Car in front of me lost control, I tried to avoid and skid about 20 feet, slow motion almost like the steam roller scene in Austin Powers, and nothing we could do to stop a hit. The accident could be reconstructed by the tire tracks in the snow, and there was clear ice underneath. Accidents just like that all over Boston that night.

Just looked at RGEM... what's the mechanism for that intense band over eastern-northeastern MA 3Z Wed?

I'm guessing some kind of convergence once circulation around the second low center forms, but not sure...

Yes, it is the combo of LL convergence as the secondary develops and pooling of unstable LL lapse rates. It's almost like a squall line developing for thunderstorms in the summer. But in this case, the ocean helps with LL moisture advection and steepening of the LL lapse rates rather than hurting the convection like in summer. Being further east also helps with being closer to where the secondary sfc reflection is developing so the winds are more backed creating the lifting mechanism

Yes, it is the combo of LL convergence as the secondary develops and pooling of unstable LL lapse rates. It's almost like a squall line developing for thunderstorms in the summer. But in this case, the ocean helps with LL moisture advection and steepening of the LL lapse rates rather than hurting the convection like in summer. Being further east also helps with being closer to where the secondary sfc reflection is developing so the winds are more backed creating the lifting mechanism

Thanks

Yeah was looking for evidence of that with low level winds or lapse rates but weatherbell (for RGEM) / twisterdata (for GFS) doesn't have enough resolution.

Could make a fun little nowcast event tomorrow night

I wouldn't be shocked if someone saw 4"....esp N ORH county over to N Essex....but I certainly wouldn't be predicting 4" for any one location.

We'll see if this vortmax has one more tick south in it...it would actually make a pretty substantial difference for some areas if it does. OTOH, if it ticks a bit weaker and NW (like the GFS), then it would be a much less intriguing event for SNE.

Historically I ride meso models here. Pretty consistent signals from the meso all together.

Definitely gonna be interesting later. Soundings are impressive. Can't rule out a clap or two of thunder. I think even Kevin will pull 2+. Not sure if this area. Hoping for 1 anyways.

Yeah man..mesos look wild this afternoon. This has the look of a whole bunch of people in a general region reporting thunder at the same time. Gonna be some 3-4 inch amounts and they could really be just about anywhere.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

344 AM EST TUE JAN 12 2016

CTZ002>004-MAZ002>006-008>012-026-RIZ001-003-121700-

HARTFORD CT-TOLLAND CT-WINDHAM CT-WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-

EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-

WESTERN ESSEX MA-WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-

EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-

NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...UNION...

VERNON...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...

ORANGE...BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...LAWRENCE...

CHESTERFIELD...BLANDFORD...AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON...SPRINGFIELD...

MILFORD...WORCESTER...AYER...FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...WEST GREENWICH

344 AM EST TUE JAN 12 2016

...A PERIOD OF SNOW AND LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW SQUALLS WILL IMPACT

THE EVENING COMMUTE ACROSS PORTIONS OF INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND...

AN AREA OF SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD WESTERN AND CENTRAL NEW ENGLAND

BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON...REACHING AREAS WEST OF THE I-95

CORRIDOR BY EVENING. LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW SQUALLS ARE ALSO

POSSIBLE. THE PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN AS RAIN ALONG AND EAST OF

THE BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE CORRIDOR BUT ENDING AS A PERIOD OF SNOW

SHOWERS.

ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE LIKELY ACROSS MUCH OF THE

INTERIOR...WITH LOCALLY UP TO 3 OR 4 INCHES ACROSS THE HIGHER

ELEVATIONS IN CENTRAL AND WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS. THE SNOW WILL

IMPACT THE EVENING COMMUTE WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR

VISIBILITIES...ESPECIALLY IN CENTRAL AND WESTERN NEW ENGLAND.

MOTORISTS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR A SLOW COMMUTE LATE THIS

AFTERNOON AND EVENING WITH HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

$$

KJC

Archived