joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Scott talks about theta-e injection low, this is what he's talking about. You have a reservoir of relatively high theta-e just south of the area. As the low deepens/develops the LLJ will pull some of that northward in a tongue of juiced air.

This is the NAM forecast at 00z and 03z Wednesday. You can see the pooling near SNE at 00z, but by 03z it's developed into a narrow theta-e ridge that will have some pretty good QPF on its nose.

post-44-0-48799700-1452453610_thumb.jpeg

post-44-0-76035100-1452453617_thumb.jpeg

When Scott talks about theta-e injection low, this is what he's talking about. You have a reservoir of relatively high theta-e just south of the area. As the low deepens/develops the LLJ will pull some of that northward in a tongue of juiced air.

This is the NAM forecast at 00z and 03z Wednesday. You can see the pooling near SNE at 00z, but by 03z it's developed into a narrow theta-e ridge that will have some pretty good QPF on its nose.

attachicon.gifTheta-e_00z.jpeg

attachicon.gifTheta-e_03z.jpeg

Chris, Thanks for those maps, That's a nice look, Could rip for a few hours if it plays out similar to that

I've shown this before, but in these situations we sometimes tick a lot of the Norlun boxes. At that same 03z Wednesday time period, you're collocating that unstable theta-e corridor with strong omega in deep onshore flow. You can take my word for it that it's saturated within this area too.

Notice the closer you get to that instability axis the more the white (boundary layer) and blue (850 mb) wind flag align parallel to each other. Good way to sustained a concentrated band of precip rather than a widespread lighter area of precip.

post-44-0-57687300-1452455090_thumb.png

We had an clipper injection low back in February 2014 that turned a 1-3 forecast into 4-8 inside of 24 hours. These should always be watched. You literally develop things a shade sooner and places that might have gotten a coating to an inch end up with 3 or 4" in a two hour dump of S+.

Right now, I wouldn't predict more than an inch or two for anyone in SNE but I certainly would keep an eye on it with that vortmax tracking south of us.

We had an clipper injection low back in February 2014 that turned a 1-3 forecast into 4-8 inside of 24 hours. These should always be watched. You literally develop things a shade sooner and places that might have gotten a coating to an inch end up with 3 or 4" in a two hour dump of S+.

Right now, I wouldn't predict more than an inch or two for anyone in SNE but I certainly would keep an eye on it with that vortmax tracking south of us.

There was one here last year (or maybe it was 2014) where we had a dump of 5.5" in 2 hours at the WFO. And that was it, over and done with after 2 hours.

Archived