CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WINDEX parameters are really high in this...LL moisture pools, we have really good instability, and really strong PVA....TTs reach 55+, so wouldn't be shocked if someone got thunder.

Yeah was just looking at the soundings. It's pretty much at least conditionally unstable regardless of something to help lift. You can see it blossoms when it gets further east ans taps into the warmer, more moist low levels.

Yeah was just looking at the soundings. It's pretty much at least conditionally unstable regardless of something to help lift. You can see it blossoms when it gets further east ans taps into the warmer, more moist low levels.

Here is the ORH sounding tomorrow at 00z...that screams heavy snow even if only for a brief time. We even have the best lift lined up int he SG region (omega not seen there obviously, but max has been between about 750-800mb)

160111142952.gif

There are going to be some quite surprised posts on here tomorrow evening mostly from those calling it meh and thinking little to none. I'm excited

Maybe you get 1-2. It just starts getting going at your longitude. I'd be more excited for Will and points NE. That's always been the case.

Here is the ORH sounding tomorrow at 00z...that screams heavy snow even if only for a brief time. We even have the best lift lined up int he SG region (omega not seen there obviously, but max has been between about 750-800mb)

160111142952.gif

Yeah a lot of the soundings are similar. Just looking at it today for work. Even if it only went to town for an hour, it becomes an impact for me.

Actually some wetbulb potential too. That is, even if temps 35-37 or so to start, might be a quick flip to snow near BOS. Such low thicknesses too...really not that common to see and liquid with thicknesses below 528.

Yea, that's what I'm expecting. Marginal areas do a quick flip, as just above the surface is quite cold. Should see sub freezing air quickly mix down as the precip picks up in intensity.

Maybe you get 1-2. It just starts getting going at your longitude. I'd be more excited for Will and points NE. Tha

t's always been the case.

Exactly ,no one's arguing about dynamics. Most of Connecticut gets a quick burst of snow and than dry slotted. Probably start as rain or mix in southern and eastern areas and possibly along the valley floor.

Look at those lapse rates on the soundings...around 7C/KM...that's going to be unstable in a moist environment. So it won't take much to get some heavier bursts I don't think.

The key though is the vortmax....you want it south to give really good PVA and good lapse rates...further north will create a more stable sounding in SNE and also reduce lift.

Exactly ,no one's arguing about dynamics. Most of Connecticut gets a quick burst of snow and than dry slotted. Probably start as rain or mix in southern and eastern areas and possibly along the valley floor.

It's pretty cold for you. You guys don't get the moderating influence of the Atlantic. If it barely moderates Boston, I wouldn't worry. I think the question for you is how quickly it gets its act together.

Maybe you get 1-2. It just starts getting going at your longitude. I'd be more excited for Will and points NE. That's always been the case.

And I've said best areas for 3-4 are north of ORH..1-3 covers south of 1-90, because there will be some 2+ amounts in places south of that interstate.  But Hunch could get 4 to near Watchusett

Ryan Hanrahan ‏@ryanhanrahan  3m

A burst of snow expected Tuesday later afternoon/evening -especially in the hills. NE CT could pick up 2"

CYcohetW8AEzV2N.png

And I've said best areas for 3-4 are north of ORH..1-3 covers south of 1-90, because there will be some 2+ amounts in places south of that interstate.  But Hunch could get 4 to near Watchusett

Ryan Hanrahan ‏@ryanhanrahan  3m

A burst of snow expected Tuesday later afternoon/evening -especially in the hills. NE CT could pick up 2"

CYcohetW8AEzV2N.png

I guess the difference is that I don't think a lot of areas get to 3-4.  It's not worth getting excited 4-5 days out with a system that has an upside of an inch or so more than predicted. 

Archived