joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

950 temps are usually available on most soundings. Weather.cod is a good source for soundings now. I use 950 all the time, being in an area where boundary layer issues can happen. Even though the near srfc may be above 35-36F..If precip is heavy enough..all the factors Will described come into play. But you sort of live and die by heavier precip so confidence is not always high. I don't think boundary layer issues are at play really,  N of Boston.

Actually some wetbulb potential too. That is, even if temps 35-37 or so to start, might be a quick flip to snow near BOS. Such low thicknesses too...really not that common to see and liquid with thicknesses below 528.

Wet bulb zero just tickles 128 on the 12z NAM before collapsing back to the water anyway.

Euro a bit less bullish. Still a decent look ORH east into NE MA.

SFC is backed pretty good at 00z over central and eastern areas, so that's gonna help I think. If we pop a little sfc low over SE MA, then I'd really watch for an enhanced period of S/S+ for a couple hours over E or NE MA. Euro is really close to doing that.

SFC is backed pretty good at 00z over central and eastern areas, so that's gonna help I think. If we pop a little sfc low over SE MA, then I'd really watch for an enhanced period of S/S+ for a couple hours over E or NE MA. Euro is really close to doing that.

Yeah a lot of the good runs had more SE flow. Makes sense too. You want to be north of that little triple point where new low develops. I think I have an idea of what to expect anyways. A few hundreth of an inch of QPF won't really sway me. 

Hard to trust the Nam on anything, From looking at the 12z RGEM it didn't look to bad for some further south, Pretty potent vortmax that develops right along the Maine coast

SN_000-048_0000.gif

Pretty.  That nice 40-50 mm jack is centered about 15 miles NNE from my snowstake.  Means that it won't actually be there, of course, but it's looking good for warning criteria.

Pretty.  That nice 40-50 mm jack is centered about 15 miles NNE from my snowstake.  Means that it won't actually be there, of course, but it's looking good for warning criteria.

Looking good for warning criteria?   Isn't that a bit of an understatement at 2" liquid?   And is that a .4" bullseye right over Tolland?

Archived