Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM is probably 2-3 for Kevin.

Might even be 4 verbatim...that's a 0.4" L.E. spot over him.

It will change with the little bullseyes...but I liked the vortmax tracking further south on this run. It will deepen the instability and also prolong the band a little bit.

Might even be 4 verbatim...that's a 0.4" L.E. spot over him.

It will change with the little bullseyes...but I liked the vortmax tracking further south on this run. It will deepen the instability and also prolong the band a little bit.

Yeah I posted that before your graphic. I was looking at the hrly RGEM on CMC site and guessing. That's from the second batch.

I wonder how realistic the second batch is. That boosts totals all the way to James land.

Yeah I wouldnt count on that extra 0.1" from N CT to Cape Cod...but you can see how well E MA does since pike-northward doesn't get anything from that second band.

Yeah I wouldnt count on that extra 0.1" from N CT to Cape Cod...but you can see how well E MA does since pike-northward doesn't get anything from that second band.

I think Ray could be in a good spot.

Here;s total QPF from RGEM...not just snow QPF...I post this to show the potential in E MA...since it is possible the ptype algorithm is placing too much weight on the bottom 1,000 feet temps...we saw how cold just off the deck it was on the soundings. 

PR_000_048_0000.gif

It was bad in ORD the other day, but it "seems" realistic to a point.

It did ok here on the 12/29 event, If it is realistic, The earlier development helps SW areas up here as usually mid coast and DE end up the beneficiaries, The one plus or minus depending on ones take, Is that, The low hugs the coast, And looks to drop in the mid 980'smb range

It's pretty cold for you. You guys don't get the moderating influence of the Atlantic. If it barely moderates Boston, I wouldn't worry. I think the question for you is how quickly it gets its act together.

If it's starts as rain in the valley it will flip quick. The RGEM looks decent. If it's more like 1-2 than I will get the lower amounts. I was probably over dramatic about praying for a coating, it's probably a good bet. I would still like to be further NE and higher than 135 ft.

It has a later development, GFS has not done very well when we get close in to a storm system, I would wait for the Euro, And go with a RGEM/Euro blend

It is a bit of mess with disorganized vort energy,,,it's been that way on most of its runs...however, that look is an outlier right now.

It is a bit of mess with disorganized vort energy,,,it's been that way on most of its runs...however, that look is an outlier right now.

I agree, All the other guidance seems to be trending more favorable, A few days back, The GFS was the most bullish and the Euro was meh, It looks like the GFS does well in the mid range only to screw it up when you get inside 72 hrs

How deep/ warm does the bottom 1000 foot layer have to be for rain? Given everything above it is below zero. I mean snow doesn't instantly melt.

Here;s total QPF from RGEM...not just snow QPF...I post this to show the potential in E MA...since it is possible the ptype algorithm is placing too much weight on the bottom 1,000 feet temps...we saw how cold just off the deck it was on the soundings. 

PR_000_048_0000.gif

How deep/ warm does the bottom 1000 foot layer have to be for rain? Given everything above it is below zero. I mean snow doesn't instantly melt.

You generally need about a 1300-1700 foot (400-500m) warm layer to melt snow...it can vary slightly depending on how warm the layer is.

Usually I look more at 950mb temps than the surface when you have a marginal near-ground sounding...the models can often overestimate surface warming or underestimate latent cooling at the surface as soon as precip become moderate to heavy.

The latent cooling is more efficient too when you have good dendritic growth aloft, which looks to be the case here.

Thank you. Good surprise potential then, so long as we remove the GFS solutions.

You generally need about a 1300-1700 foot (400-500m) warm layer to melt snow...it can vary slightly depending on how warm the layer is.

Usually I look more at 950mb temps than the surface when you have a marginal near-ground sounding...the models can often overestimate surface warming or underestimate latent cooling at the surface as soon as precip become moderate to heavy.

The latent cooling is more efficient too when you have good dendritic growth aloft, which looks to be the case here.

Archived