Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate/Heavy Snow Possible Tuesday/Wednesday 01/12-01/13

dryslot

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - we'll see.

I think things look better farther east. We're pretty much waiting for the last minute blossoming of the precip shield. It certainly could happen 30 or 40 miles east of where the NAM is showing which would basically cause a shut out for most of my forecast area. It's a hard forecast because if the NAM is right it becomes a high impact event - if other guidance is right it's NBD. Lots of uncertainty. 

Discounting the RGEM which has been steadfast? Or are you using it?

Which is why 1-3 has been a good forecast since we identified this threat. 

You have been right on this; actually we have, as we have both been promoting this since Thursday.  Some other too like Steve.  This is the kind of thing a weenie can sniff out with our pattern recognition skills.  Sometimes the weenies have a sense based on history and tracking snow for 40 years.

You have been right on this; actually we have, as we have both been promoting this since Thursday.  Some other too like Steve.  This is the kind of thing a weenie can sniff out with our pattern recognition skills.  Sometimes the weenies have a sense based on history and tracking snow for 40 years.

You guys are a riot. For SNE I said C-1" with best chance 1-2 ORH on northeast. Maybe you can add an inch to that.  Pat yourself on the back!

I mean..hey maybe Ryan is right and it's a whiff for CT....but I have been around long enough that these kinds of events with an ULL going south of LI..generally drop some accumulating snow in some fashion or another. Maybe this one doesn't. But I like having the RGEM on our side

You guys are a riot. For SNE I said C-1" with best chance 1-2 ORH on northeast. Maybe you can add an inch to that.  Pat yourself on the back!

LOL, I am always happy to do that.  All I'm saying is that from late last week this looked like something that would trend better and drop snow.  For me it felt like it  And it has done that.  50 miles to my NE has a good shot a warning snows.  Unfortunately I think 4 would be a stretch for me, and Kevin is on the line a bit.  But geez, all I am saying is this kind of thing that was apparent last week was fresh cold air, a clipper style vort that was strong, and what looked like a little blocking from the Sunday storm.  That was why I got interested.  Don't think the blocking worked out so well though.

:weenie:

I mean..hey maybe Ryan is right and it's a whiff for CT....but I have been around long enough that these kinds of events with an ULL going south of LI..generally drop some accumulating snow in some fashion or another. Maybe this one doesn't. But I like having the RGEM on our side

Ryan is definitely right, since all he did was outline possibilities and describe locations for which there is model disagreement.

:weenie:

It is true.  Last Thursday I said we'd have an overperformer (compared to modelling then) on Tuesday because the Sunday storm would leave room, provide cold air and maybe slow it down a bit.  That is somewhat true.  I also said that I thought we'd have a storm on the weekend because the Tues-Wed clipper would blow up and provide some blocking.  That is looking to be generally true.  That was just weenie pattern recognition.  It took my mini-melt to clear my head and allow my weeniESP to return.

It is true. Last Thursday I said we'd have an overperformer (compared to modelling then) on Tuesday because the Sunday storm would leave room, provide cold air and maybe slow it down a bit. That is somewhat true. I also said that I thought we'd have a storm on the weekend because the Tues-Wed clipper would blow up and provide some blocking. That is looking to be generally true. That was just weenie pattern recognition. It took my mini-melt to clear my head and allow my weeniESP to return.

Well in a week we've gone from 1" modeled to 2-3". I'm not sure how much of a win for us that really is.

Something is definitely up with the box maps, the table on the winter front page doesn't line up either. Sometimes I forget they are a government agency.

See my post in the banter thread, there are fundamental issues with those snow probability maps.

There is a reason why we have them labeled as experimental.

See my post in the banter thread, there are fundamental issues with those snow probability maps.

There is a reason why we have them labeled as experimental.

Hmm. Interesting, must be a technical issue across the board. Still though, and not a dig at you personally, but if they are experimental then don't you think it makes sense to also include the forecaster's map (like the one box put on twitter) on the main winter weather page of the nws regional office somewhere? Right now, the "experimental" one is the only one that you can easily find on the website.

I went 10 to 15 cms in halifax before the warm up.

The city proper probably won't hold onto frozen too long but I am close to the airport, 20 miles inland so might squeak in the warning minimum. Any amount is a win with that track and an ESE wind direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. Interesting, must be a technical issue across the board. Still though, and not a dig at you personally, but if they are experimental then don't you think it makes sense to also include the forecaster's map (like the one box put on twitter) on the main winter weather page of the nws regional office somewhere? Right now, the "experimental" one is the only one that you can easily find on the website.

The "most likely" is the forecaster generated snowfall. The min/max maps are the ones that are generated from our maps and the WPC forecast.

How many microbars of lift make you start considering the possibility of thundersnow? Also, lapse rates look pretty darn solid. Not quite on par with last Valentine's Day, but 7+ ain't bad.

It's not necessarily a certain amount of lift, but when you see intense values it may point towards convective nature versus typical lift.

You want instability first and foremost. So lapse rates are a big deal, theta-e decreasing with height, sometimes you'll even see some CAPE show up on forecast maps.

It's not necessarily a certain amount of lift, but when you see intense values it may point towards convective nature versus typical lift.

You want instability first and foremost. So lapse rates are a big deal, theta-e decreasing with height, sometimes you'll even see some CAPE show up on forecast maps.

Great. Thanks very much!

Archived